Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My name is Adam and i am an accountancy student at leeds university. Upon completion i am looking to move to the UAE to seek work.

I would like to know if there are any companies in UAE that offer graduate schemes for trainee accountants?

Living in UAE is not a problem as my farther is a resident and could supply somewhere to live in the short term.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Adam

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
Congrats on your degree mate, and if i were you, I'd look at the bigger people (KPMG etc,) ask if they do, cos the smaller companies, if they do, it'll just be for locals i would guess.

Failing that come over, stay at you old mans and look from here.

You'll feel right at home - we have a Harvey nichols too!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Hello

My name is Adam and i am an accountancy student at leeds university. Upon completion i am looking to move to the UAE to seek work.

I would like to know if there are any companies in UAE that offer graduate schemes for trainee accountants?

Living in UAE is not a problem as my farther is a resident and could supply somewhere to live in the short term.

Thanks in Advance

Adam
I don't know of any companies that would offer such schemes out here. I would sugest that you would receive better training in the UK. Please also bear in mind that many lower level accountants are from countries where small salaries are acceptable, despite their qualifications.

Note that your father is not able to sponsor you.

-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I was aware i could be sponsered to move to UAE on a family visa through my dad, then look for employment once i arrive. Also considering the starting salary for most junior accountants in the UK is 18k GBP p/a minus income tax i am quite sure that even if i recieved a similar salary package in UAE it would be more financially benificial to me.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
As far as I was aware i could be sponsered to move to UAE on a family visa through my dad, then look for employment once i arrive. Also considering the starting salary for most junior accountants in the UK is 18k GBP p/a minus income tax i am quite sure that even if i recieved a similar salary package in UAE it would be more financially benificial to me.

Your father can only sponsor you if you are under 18 or in full-time education.

-

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
In any case, assuming that you have a British passport, you could stay here through a visit visa and keep doing the "visa runs" to keep renewing them (read the stickies and other posts re. the visa runs) during your job search

As far as your job search is concerned, you could also look at Graduate positions in investment banks here. All the big names are here and all of them have these fresher programmes (not necessarily a separate programme for the Middle East though) and will be happy to take in accounting majors

Also, as already suggested, you should start from the Big 4 + other accounting firms like Protivity. At the very beginning of your career, it is the big brand names that matter even if the pay is not that great. Also the smaller firms may not have that professional an environment or that structured a training programme.

Also, are you hung up on Dubai ? Most accounting firms have offices in Abu Dhabi too, apart from a number of offices around the GCC (Bahrain, Oman, Saudi etc) because typically they try to ring fence one country's operations from the others

For sure your after tax salary will match 18K pounds before tax (though I guess for 18K the tax may not be more than 10-15%)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello

Thanks in Advance

Adam
Get a job in Europe with a big firm. Get some experience, then get 'sent' here. That way someone else will own all of your problems concerning relocation etc etc.

Alternatively - take 3 years off and go back packing - much more rewarding ! You are far too young to be settling down...live a little. It will benefit you far more in the long run. And you will learn more about yourself than any office job will teach you !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.