Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Its a while since i've been on here. A lot has changed, apart from the urge to get out of the UK! :)

I am looking for as much information as possible on self building on Urban classified land. as i really do not know where to start. as off grid as possible.

Also is there anyone in the Peniscola area or somewhere near (ish)?

kind regards
Terrie

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. no i haven't as yet as its still very early days.

I want to find out more about the area. whats the winter weather like (Jan-May)? how safe is it in the countryside for a woman and children? any problems people have had with planning permission? etc.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Thank you for your reply. no i haven't as yet as its still very early days.

I want to find out more about the area. whats the winter weather like (Jan-May)? how safe is it in the countryside for a woman and children? any problems people have had with planning permission? etc.
I don't know Peniscola at all. However, where we are is in the campo but 5km from a town. It's completely safe here with the obvious proviso that, as with anywhere, you have to be careful with the possibility of burglaries. We have an alarm system and a good dog.

Here, the weather from Jan - March is cold in the mornings and in the evenings. If it's a particularly bad winter then it can get well into the minus figures. From march to May it starts to warm up. A couple of weeks ago we had temperatures in the low 40's !!!!! It's now high 20's to low 30's and rising.

Planning permissions are a whole new ball of chalk! These depend entirely on your local town hall so it's best that someone from Peniscola answers.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you can p.m. me I can pass your questions on to my sister-in-law who has a second home in Peniscola.
I've not heard her make any adverse comments about the area in the 10 or so years they've been there. She sometimes goes on her own, or stays on, for a while and walks up and down to the beach, church, social functions etc. Her children and grandchildren visit regularly too.
She would be well placed to answer the weather questions too as I regard it as the frozen north because our home is on the coast in Murcia and its definitely warmer there at all times of the year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the replies.

the land i was looking at is about 30 mins from the coast near Cervera Del Maestre.

Im desperate to escape the ever longer British winters. example- today is last day of the half term holiday. the boys wanted to go in their little pool after a bit of sun yesterday, but its cold (9 degrees), windy and raining. :mad:
but finding urban land that i can afford further south seems to be eluding me!

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you follow this link you can track the weather for yourself:
https://www.google.es/#q=cervera+del+maestre
Planning permission issues are best dealt with by their Ayuntamiento too. What happens in Peniscola is unlikely to be mirrored in Cervera.
Personally I like the countryside in Valencia in general, but the provincial govt has been known to ride roughshod over properties that were in the way of a project, paying compensation only on the price paid for the land or house and nothing for the renovations or constructions carried out.
Be very careful, check and check again if there is a reason why you can afford land there and nowhere else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts