Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

It's been a while I posted to this forum. I received my grant last year. I want to move to Australia with my family soon. I have an issue which I'd like some advice on; My child was around 2 months old when I applied for her passport. Taking a passport photo with an infant is a hard task, and after multiple tries the photographer couldn't take a straight up photo and ended up finalizing a photo with the baby's head tiled backwards and eyes slightly closed. I asked whether it'll be ok if I can use the passport with this photo and they said, it shouldn't be a problem for an infant.

I sent the same passport for Visa grant and no objection was raised. 189 visa was granted for my family. After that, I thought it is indeed not a problem. However, now that I'm prepraring documents for travel, I'm worried if it'll cause issues at immigration desks.

Please advise, because if I somehow convince the passport authorities to change the passport (rare chances), they will issue a new passport and the passport number will change.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I do not see a problem with it, infants grow up and their passports remain valid for a while.

However, If you get a new passport and the # changes, you will simply fill Form 929 and submit it with a copy of old and new passports to DIBP and they will relink the visa to the new passport

DIBP does not expect you to keep the same passport for the life of your residence in Australia.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I was just going through the Australian Passport guidelines but then realized that the guidelines are for Australian passport and not Pakistani.

Do you guys still advise I call up the immigration authorities nevertheless?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Hmm, I was just going through the Australian Passport guidelines but then realized that the guidelines are for Australian passport and not Pakistani.

Do you guys still advise I call up the immigration authorities nevertheless?
call will not change anything

if your baby is unidentifiable now (difference in appearance is too much) get a new passport, and relink the visa using Form 929

If not, go ahead with the current passport

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, my baby was hardly a month old when this passport was applied. She's now 8 months old, so the difference is significant. I'll see if the passport authorities allow getting a new passport without the previous one expiring.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Yep, my baby was hardly a month old when this passport was applied. She's now 8 months old, so the difference is significant. I'll see if the passport authorities allow getting a new passport without the previous one expiring.
well ..... not suggesting anything .... but ..... sometimes a nice hot cup of Karak tea accidentally tips over and spoils things :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Taking an infant passport photo - It's indeed a hard task :)

I would suggest you to keep child's birth certificate while traveling and you should be good.

For future if child can't sit properly, ask photographer to set a white sheet on floor, baby can lay down on it & photographer can take photo from the top, I personally experienced it & got perfectooooo result :)

Girl Aussie

Hello everyone,

It's been a while I posted to this forum. I received my grant last year. I want to move to Australia with my family soon. I have an issue which I'd like some advice on; My child was around 2 months old when I applied for her passport. Taking a passport photo with an infant is a hard task, and after multiple tries the photographer couldn't take a straight up photo and ended up finalizing a photo with the baby's head tiled backwards and eyes slightly closed. I asked whether it'll be ok if I can use the passport with this photo and they said, it shouldn't be a problem for an infant.

I sent the same passport for Visa grant and no objection was raised. 189 visa was granted for my family. After that, I thought it is indeed not a problem. However, now that I'm prepraring documents for travel, I'm worried if it'll cause issues at immigration desks.

Please advise, because if I somehow convince the passport authorities to change the passport (rare chances), they will issue a new passport and the passport number will change.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dont do any thing, just travel on the same passport and there shouldn't be any issues.

I had a first hand experience of this as my daughter was 4 years old when we traveled with her passport which was made when she was 2 months old, she barely opened her eyes for that photo and at 4 years she was no where near to what she looked like at 2 months.

Yes immigration staff did told me to wait and they took my daughter's passport for verification, after couple of minuted a lady officer came scanned my daughter's face with her eyes and then watchfully tried to compare it with the one in the passport, definitely she could not made up her mind if the photo matched my daughter, then she even asked my daughter if she is the same girl on the passport, and then coupel of smiles here and there and we were allowed to go.

I think the only concern for them would be child trafficking, they were just figuring out if the kid belonged to our family as the photo on passport was not resembling my daughter at all..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont do any thing, just travel on the same passport and there shouldn't be any issues.

I had a first hand experience of this as my daughter was 4 years old when we traveled with her passport which was made when she was 2 months old, she barely opened her eyes for that photo and at 4 years she was no where near to what she looked like at 2 months.

Yes immigration staff did told me to wait and they took my daughter's passport for verification, after couple of minuted a lady officer came scanned my daughter's face with her eyes and then watchfully tried to compare it with the one in the passport, definitely she could not made up her mind if the photo matched my daughter, then she even asked my daughter if she is the same girl on the passport, and then coupel of smiles here and there and we were allowed to go.

I think the only concern for them would be child trafficking, they were just figuring out if the kid belonged to our family as the photo on passport was not resembling my daughter at all..
That's why I love this forum. So many people giving in their advice for the better. Thanks a lot everyone. I'll make sure I keep all the originals and required documentation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts