Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What problem will we have IF:

There is not enough time to apply for our baby's first UK passport here in USA, BUT I have time to apply for her US passport AND Registration of UK birth abroad...

Pending a job offer from London and we may have to move sooner than anticipated...I am thinking of a what if scenario...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi bubbe2005,

I don't have any firm answers but will be interested in what you hear back from someone in the know, as we'll be in the same situation.

Having looked into this before, the good news is that the UK doesn't require its citizens to enter the country on their UK passports (as in many other countries, I think the USA included).

BUT, from what I understand, in theory, the baby wouldn't have leave to remain beyond standard tourist entry on the US passport, as the registration of UK birth abroad isn't really an official document proving citizenship. So, in theory the baby should have a return ticket back to the US to prove they won't 'overstay' their leave to remain.

But, in practice, I would think that the immigration officer could show some common sense discretion in the face of a British parent (as named on the birth certificate, and proving British citizenship with their own passport), the registration of birth abroad, and proof that you have applied for the UK passport and are simply waiting for it to arrive. I would like to think they wouldn't refuse the baby's entry into the country, as it's obvious he/she is a British citizen.

But would be great to know what someone with some more knowledge would have to say.

Does anyone have a sense of how long children's first passports are taking to process from abroad at the moment?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
What is likely to happen is they will first ask to see the baby's British passport. If you explain you didn't have enough time so are getting her passport in UK, initial reaction is one of displeasure and annoyance. If you show evidence that she is British by descent, including her birth certificate and your birth certificate showing birth in UK, they may with reluctance let her in with open date stamp (a stamp just bearing the port name - e.g. Heathrow - and the date) without giving her leave to enter as US citizen, such as for 6-month visit. It used to be quite routine for parents to bring their dual-national children on their foreign passport, but Border Force officials are getting stricter in requiring correct documentation and don't like having to exercise discretion (as such an entry as described isn't specified in regulations) or making an exception (what if the birth certificates have been forged or altered?) and having to verify evidence at UK border.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We applied for my daughter's first UK passport from the US and received it in less than 3 weeks. Good luck!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, that's what I recommend to OP as well. You can travel on your own and the other parent can bring the baby once her UK passport is issued.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.