Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!

Me and my husband moved to Perth last month...Till now we are finding the city very isolated and boring....

Please if any indians who would want to meet up during the weekend would be great.

Regards
Mohita

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Is your request just for Indians only? If so, you'll be narrowing your chance of meeting people.

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Mohita

Try findins communities on Facebook or Google it. I am sure you will find plenty.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi!!

Me and my husband moved to Perth last month...Till now we are finding the city very isolated and boring....

Please if any indians who would want to meet up during the weekend would be great.

Regards
Mohita
Mohita

Lots and Lot of Indians live there , from tomorrow I am also joining with my family. First let us try to organize Expat forum members who lives in Perth.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hi!!

Regards
Mohita
Don't forget about that whole "integration" thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!!

Regards
Mohita
Did you finally manage to find Indians. Even I am planning to comedown for an interview and wanted to check how did you find Perth? dasmeets at yahoo

·
Registered
98 Posts
I suggest visiting temples around your place (around would mean 30-50 KM Radius!). You can easily get hold of good connections through the priest and temple staff.

Also regularly visit some Indian stores (like vegetable stores) nearby and you will easily get connections to hand full of indian community:)

The point is, who ever comes here will have open mind to talk to and keep in touch with other Indians!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Invite

Hi Mohita,

If you are interested in joining a few friends from India and Kenya for the Avon Valley descent tomorrow (Saturday) we are leaving Perth from Beechboro at 10.30am (including picnic). You can call me on [Phone number removed by Moderator] if you want to join us and make new friends :)

Cheers,

Himanshu

Hi!!

Regards
Mohita

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i suggest try to meet all the people including non-indian on this forum..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi!!

Regards
Mohita
I'm pretty sure, in other circumstances, other 'groups of people' could not get away with saying this.

Can i ask why you are interested in meeting other Indians? You have made the concious decision to move to a non-indian country.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm pretty sure, in other circumstances, other 'groups of people' could not get away with saying this.

Can i ask why you are interested in meeting other Indians? You have made the concious decision to move to a non-indian country.....

I wouldn't normally post on a topic such as this, but as an Indian, but born and bred in London I absolutely agree with this comment.

I believe it is essential to have a wide range of friends from different communities. Not only does that widen your horizon and open your eyes but it prevents social barriers.

Some say I could be a coconut, which I don't think I am, but I feel out of place going to certain parts of London that are "mini India". Also as they think I speak the language but I don't it doesn't help matters lol.. just english:rolleyes: (yes maybe I should have learnt it)

Having said that I found going to Melbourne a few times that the Asians (far eastern cultures) tend to stick together which I feel is not good either. Although it does make it easier to spot a good Chinese restaurant.. yum :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
People just don't change even after migrating.
Initially they'll say they want to meet Indians...afterwards they'll form south or north Indian unions...It never changes...
I suggest to open up your thoughts and mingle with other nationalities as well. Good for kids too...they'll get to know different culture...

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I think that most races will try to stick together initially when moving anywhere for a comfort factor - look at Brits in Spain.

However I do agree that people need to mingle and mix will all types - locals and migrants. And when I say migrants I mean people from all over that have moved here. Sometimes they will understand more of what another migrant is going through than a local person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi guys

I was browsing internet and found this site....

Well I recently moved to Perth from Sydney on job basis.

am looking make new frnds and hang out

Got 2 weeks off for christmas and new yr....dunno wat to do??
any suggestions...??

any one interested in hanging out....movies/bowling/pool..??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!!

Regards
Mohita
Agree with Mohita. My whole concept of a western world has been changed. Here shops closes at 5pm!!!! and bus service ends at 7 - 9... Sunday it looks like a ghost town.. Really miss Dubai where malls and life continues till minimum 12 mid night and 24 hours eat outs...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree with Mohita. My whole concept of a western world has been changed. Here shops closes at 5pm!!!! and bus service ends at 7 - 9... Sunday it looks like a ghost town.. Really miss Dubai where malls and life continues till minimum 12 mid night and 24 hours eat outs...
Hahaha! Totally agree with your post...it's just quite difficult to adjust especially if you are used to the night life in the Middle east. Honestly, after work, people should have options and possibilities to chill out and have some family & friends time together (excluding pubs, which unfortunately are the only way out at nights). We miss the Middle East too, have lived both in Dubai & Riyadh!

I'm also struggling to find friends here in Perth...was easy in Melbourne & Sydney (both cities are much vibrant & lively) but not the case with Perth!

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes perth is quiet laid back compared to the eastern states..everything closes by 5...nightlife very boring, u really have to go around looking for ppl, then you meet one family who will then introduce you to some more families, thats how you build your social circle...well mohita which part of perth do u live in..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking to make friends

I & my wife have recently moved to Perth from Melbourne (originally from India) and looking to make friends in and around the Perth area (mainly around the CBD). Just send me an invite if you are an expat in Perth and are also looking to make friends!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts