Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I will be in Sydney next month. I know the process to get our India DL converted into NSW driving license.

My Driving License is issued from Pune RTO and my passport is issued from Bangalore.

Would this difference in address pose any challenges when converting my DL into NSW?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
These days most Indian applicants are being asked for IDLV from VFS Sydney, so you should get a DL Extract from Pune RTO and when in Sydney, get the IDLV from VFS. IDLV requires your passport, Indian DL, DL Extract and photographs.

Your DL address being different from passport address should not be a problem throughout this entire process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KeeDa,

I am in process of getting a kind of "NoC" from Pune RTO. I am hoping that it will have all the license details that I can use. The agent in Pune says that it will have all the license details like issue date, license type, etc.

1. Will that help?
2. In addition, do I need to convert my paper DL into a chip based card DL?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Hi

1. I don't know what NOC is, but what you need is known as either a DL Extract or DL particulars. I've shared an example here. Show this to your agent and if the one from Pune is similar, then it should work. Which RTO office is your agent trying at? The one at Sangam Bridge issues DL extract immediately at a cost of 20 INR. This office is well aware of the DL Extract thing and they even have an application form to request a DL Extract.

2. They say that a chip based DL helps avoiding the whole IDLV process (which costs around A$ 80 at VFS Sydney), but lately, many with a chip DL were asked for an IDLV. So your efforts to get it converted may not help, but if its not too expensive, then do it. However, make sure that they do not issue you a new chip based DL with new dates. Your Indian DL should be at least 3 years old in order to qualify for a full unrestricted NSW DL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks KeeDa! You are cool !!!

I will try to get the chip based DL - hoping it may help me quicken the process in Aus. Dont know how much its going to cost here though; will check.

Thanks for the sample extract. I haven't received my NoC yet; however I hope its on the same lines. If not, your sample will help me get a right certificate.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.