Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I would like to know if anyone is facing the same kind of situation and how you go about it.
Basically, I have been granted an Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK since 2006 after my graduation, I have previously lived and studied in the UK for 13 years, and after my ILR was granted I had to move to Singapore where I had a job offer, which during that time I was not able to find what I was looking for in the UK.
I have been working in Singapore for almost 7 years now, and in order to retain my ILR I have to make a visit back to the UK every 2 years as I do not wish to lose it since I would like to go back there and work should I find a better offer from there.

I was just wondering if anyone is facing the same situation, and whether or not the Immigration has the right to take away my ILR? 'Technically' I return back to the UK every 2 years, but of course it has already been almost 7 years since I left for work.
I have not yet experienced any issue with the immigration yet, but I am now thinking if it is worth keeping the residency?

Any thoughts on this is much appreciated!

NCW

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
In practice, immigration turns a blind eye if you visit UK often enough. But when you lengthen the interval between your visits to almost the maximum 2 years, the border force staff get a bit suspicious and start asking questions about your ties in UK. While in theory you are expected to return within 2 years to resume your ordinary residence in UK, people who have strong enough ties in UK and return (for a visit) often enough are usually let in without much ado. The longer you stay in UK, the stronger your claim to be a returning resident.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question....
I have ILR since 1996 and have lived and worked in UK up until this year when we have relocated to Dubai with work. My ILR is still active although in my previous passports as I needed a new passport and didn't have time to place in my new one. Home office advice is to travel with my old passport to show upon entry to UK with my new passport. We are uncertain as to how long we will be away working but will return to visit family in UK periodically. We have a house that we are renting out, NRL1 is in place, married to a British citizen and our son was born in UK. So will this be enough to guarantee entry and return as a resident even after the 2 year limit? Or who has a crystal ball?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
There is no hard and fast rule. It depends on the immigration officer's take on your situation. Clearly the stronger the ties in UK, the more likely you are allowed back as returning resident. Having your own family, a job and business interest in UK certainly strengthens your case, though property ownership itself doesn't (many non-resident foreigners own real estate in UK). Making quite frequent trips to UK, such as every 6 months or so, will also help. You do have the right to be accepted back as resident within 2 years of leaving, provided you are coming back to resume your ordinary residence, and not just for a visit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.