Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
My partner and I are Australians who have been in the UK for nearly 5 years. Our ancestry visas started on 3rd February 2009 but we did not enter the country for the first time until 31st March 2009.
We are both keen to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, but are aware that we need to have been in the country on a continuous Visa for 5 years. I have had two discussions with staff from the Home Office. The first suggested we would need to renew our ancestry visas prior to 3rd February to ensure we have been on the same visa for 5 years. We would then be in a position to apply for ILR after 31st march 2014.
The second conversation suggested that the processing officer may take the 5 year period from the start date of our visa, meaning that we could apply for ILR before 3rd Feb without needing to apply for a new ancestry visa beforehand. Can anyone offer any advice on this? The first option is obviously extremely expensive and requires a huge amount of administrative effort given it's only an 8 week gap, any thoughts most welcome.
Cheers
M.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
The 1st person you spoke to gave you accurate information. One of the requirements for ILR is that you have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK. That 5 year period starts when you enter the UK not the start date of the visa. You're going to be 2 months short so unfortunately, you're going to have to apply for another ancestry visa and once you hit 5 years you can then apply for ILR.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.