Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

My situation is a little complicated, perhaps some more seasoned members could clarify things with submitting income tax returns for the first time. I have been working in France, making mostly minimum wage for the last few years. I have always had roommates with the tenancy agreement/address in their names which has made things more difficult. I don't have a TIN number yet. Although I have the forms to submit my first return.

What makes things complicated is I have been staying in Spain with my family since the covid lockdowns in Paris. I currently don't have a French address. My plan is to mail the documents from spain, and perhaps get my old roommates to mail me the next documents back. Would it be possible for the tax people to mail the next documents / TIN number to my family's house in spain?

Once I acquire my online tax number, everything seems straight forward. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Max

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You should have been submitting income tax declarations for the years you were in France, not just 2020, irrespective of your income. You should be able to find the relevant forms for each year on the website. Still, you could do 2020 first and include your change of address to Spain (with a note that you went to stay with family from whatever date in January this year, in which case future correspondence will be sent to that address until such time as you do a declaration from within France.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should have been submitting income tax declarations for the years you were in France, not just 2020, irrespective of your income. You should be able to find the relevant forms for each year on the website. Still, you could do 2020 first and include your change of address to Spain (with a note that you went to stay with family from whatever date in January this year, in which case future correspondence will be sent to that address until such time as you do a declaration from within France.
Thank you for your comment.

I went to the tax office in Paris before I left and I have the forms. The problem is he said its necessary to include a copie du contrat de location (tenancy agreement, edf, etc) with the forms. I don't have any of these as I had be staying with colocataires since I could not afford my own place. I have all of the other documents from work, id, RIB, etc. That is my main problem. I'm afraid if I send the forms without this they will be omitted.

Also the tax forms he gave me (2042) I believe, only leave spaces for addresses in France.

Any further advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

I went to the tax office in Paris before I left and I have the forms. The problem is he said its necessary to include a copie du contrat de location (tenancy agreement, edf, etc) with the forms. I don't have any of these as I had be staying with colocataires since I could not afford my own place. I have all of the other documents from work, id, RIB, etc. That is my main problem. I'm afraid if I send the forms without this they will be omitted.

Also the tax forms he gave me (2042) I believe, only leave spaces for addresses in France.

The problem is that the form he gave you is not the correct one - there are new forms that were issued in April of this year. If you worked (legally), your employer/s would/should have deducted tax and social security cotisations from your pay. If you had breaks in your employment, then you would have been overtaxed.

But do as you wish, or alternatively take a look at this site
Déclaration des revenus 2021 (impots.gouv.fr)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

I don't believe that is the case, though you could ask a former room mate to provide you with an attestation d'hébergement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is that the form he gave you is not the correct one - there are new forms that were issued in April of this year. If you worked (legally), your employer/s would/should have deducted tax and social security cotisations from your pay. If you had breaks in your employment, then you would have been overtaxed.

But do as you wish, or alternatively take a look at this site
Déclaration des revenus 2021 (impots.gouv.fr)
Thanks for your comment. I indeed worked legally and was taxed every paycheque. What seems to be the most difficult part is getting the tax number to file online. Thanks for the link, ill have another look at the website. But It looks like you need a tax number before you can do anything online.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't believe that is the case, though you could ask a former room mate to provide you with an attestation d'hébergement.
I asked about that at the tax office in levallois perret. The man said they need something with my name or joint names(which my roommates refused to do). Power bill, tenancy agreement etc. This also prevented me from getting my carte vitale. I have many documents from work that prove where I live and have a job. Although these are not accepted.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thanks for your comment. I indeed worked legally and was taxed every paycheque. What seems to be the most difficult part is getting the tax number to file online. Thanks for the link, ill have another look at the website. But It looks like you need a tax number before you can do anything online.
That is correct, you could phone or email the impots in the area where you last lived and ask them to set you up with a number explaining your situation (if you email I suggest you attach a few payslips), but if you can't convince them that you lived there it is quite possible they may choose not to give you one - in which case you should ask them how you should proceed (if you can't find the forms on the site, ask them to mail them to you). Or perhaps ask France Services - see this page
France services | Ministère de la Cohésion des territoires et des Relations avec les collectivités territoriales (cohesion-territoires.gouv.fr)

Homeless people can get their cartes vitales and a numéro fiscal, so fingers crossed.

PS
I am very disappointed no one else on the forum has responded to you.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I am supposing that the trouble here that presumably the colocataires weren't allowed to sublet, hence why they won't put it on the record. Which means the rent was going straight into their pockets and bypassing the fisc, which I suppose is exactly what the fisc are aiming to root out by this newish requirement for evidence with the first tax return that the living arrangements are all official and the rental is declared and TdH is payable and stuff.

There are special arrangements for SDFs Sans domicile stable ou fixe (SDF) : comment obtenir une domiciliation ?

There, I've answered just to show willing but I don't know what the answer is, lots of things in France are difficult if not impossible if you don't sort out a proper legal address with paperwork to back it up. Titres de séjours spring to mind but also carte vitales, tax, probably opening a bank account, registering a car...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts