Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've just been to our local Hacienda office to make our Declaration de Renta 2014 and it was such a painless process I thought I'd describe it as anyone else who would like to get this done for free instead of paying an accountant or gestor might benefit.

In late May I made an appointment online via the Agencia Tributaria website, which was for 11.00 am today. You are requested to arrive 15 minutes beforehand, which we did, put my NIE number on to the screen in reception and got a numbered ticket. Sat down to wait and our number came up onscreen at 10.55 am so we were called 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

We saw a pleasant man who expressed surprise at seeing my neatly written out list of my husband's pensions income and our bank interest:D. He asked for our NIE certificates and IBI bill (for the catastral reference), asked one or two questions to confirm things, but did not want to see any bank statements, letters from pension providers or anything else although we'd taken everything along just in case. He entered all the figures into the system and showed us a comparison onscreen as to whether it would be more favourable for us to make a joint or individual declarations (as I already knew, this year we were better off with a joint one as I wasn't receiving any pension income last year). Then asked if we wanted to pay all at once or in two instalments, and if we wanted to pay by direct debit, which we did. Printed off the direct debit form for us to sign, plus a copy of the tax return for us to keep, and that was it. We were leaving the office at 11.05 am, could hardly believe how easy it was.

If your tax affairs aren't complicated I highly recommend it, and it could be managed with very little Spanish.

·
Registered
958 Posts
We've just been to our local Hacienda office to make our Declaration de Renta 2014 and it was such a painless process I thought I'd describe it as anyone else who would like to get this done for free instead of paying an accountant or gestor might benefit.

In late May I made an appointment online via the Agencia Tributaria website, which was for 11.00 am today. You are requested to arrive 15 minutes beforehand, which we did, put my NIE number on to the screen in reception and got a numbered ticket. Sat down to wait and our number came up onscreen at 10.55 am so we were called 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

We saw a pleasant man who expressed surprise at seeing my neatly written out list of my husband's pensions income and our bank interest:D. He asked for our NIE certificates and IBI bill (for the catastral reference), asked one or two questions to confirm things, but did not want to see any bank statements, letters from pension providers or anything else although we'd taken everything along just in case. He entered all the figures into the system and showed us a comparison onscreen as to whether it would be more favourable for us to make a joint or individual declarations (as I already knew, this year we were better off with a joint one as I wasn't receiving any pension income last year). Then asked if we wanted to pay all at once or in two instalments, and if we wanted to pay by direct debit, which we did. Printed off the direct debit form for us to sign, plus a copy of the tax return for us to keep, and that was it. We were leaving the office at 11.05 am, could hardly believe how easy it was.

If your tax affairs aren't complicated I highly recommend it, and it could be managed with very little Spanish.
You might get away with limited Spanish on the coast but sadly if you go to the Hacienda in Antequera it's Spanish or nothing which it should be and they want every paper known to man.Just shows the difference in area to area..Can't be bothered being a cheap skate I let my Gestoria do it.Keeps him in a job.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might get away with limited Spanish on the coast but sadly if you go to the Hacienda in Antequera it's Spanish or nothing which it should be and they want every paper known to man.Just shows the difference in area to area..Can't be bothered being a cheap skate I let my Gestoria do it.Keeps him in a job.
I think your geography is a little shaky as Velez-Malaga is not on the coast and the Hacienda staff (or at least none of the ones I've spoken to) speak anything but Spanish. My point was that the process is so easy that someone who does not speak very much Spanish (and my own has proved more than adequate for dealing with any situation so far) need have no fears about doing their tax returns this way if they so choose.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think your geography is a little shaky as Velez-Malaga is not on the coast and the Hacienda staff (or at least none of the ones I've spoken to) speak anything but Spanish. My point was that the process is so easy that someone who does not speak very much Spanish (and my own has proved more than adequate for dealing with any situation so far) need have no fears about doing their tax returns this way if they so choose.
sorry to disappoint you I know exactly where Velez is as have been there many times and I know a lot of people who class Velez as the coast but just because you got away without showing any papers does not mean to say everywhere is going to be the same and with you living here for a couple of years it should be easy but for anybody coming to live here now with very limited Spanish would find it a little trying as any government office would be.So glad you got your tax sorted well done.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Even less painful for us (IMHO).

Went to our gestor last Friday and handed over all the paperwork I had plus a summary spreadsheet.

Went in this morning and it was all done and submitted with just over 100€ rebate!

Cost us 40€ for a joint submission.

No appointments, no problems!

·
Registered
U.K.
8,882 Posts
Even less painful for us (IMHO).

Went to our gestor last Friday and handed over all the paperwork I had plus a summary spreadsheet.

Went in this morning and it was all done and submitted with just over 100€ rebate!

Cost us 40€ for a joint submission.

No appointments, no problems!
We are off tomorrow to the Gestor. Just wants a summary of what came in which is not alot!.

We are under the threshold, so wont have tax to pay. Hopefully simples

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Tax man

We saw a pleasant man who expressed surprise at seeing my neatly written out list of my husband's pensions income and our bank interest:D. He asked for our NIE certificates and IBI bill (for the catastral reference), asked one or two questions to confirm things, but did not want to see any bank statements, letters from pension providers or anything else although we'd taken everything along just in case. He entered all the figures into the system and showed us a comparison onscreen as to whether it would be more favourable for us to make a joint or individual declarations
(as I already knew, this year we were better off with a joint one as I wasn't receiving any pension income last year). Then asked if we wanted to pay all at once or in two instalments, and if we wanted to pay by direct debit, which we did. Printed off the direct debit form for us to sign, plus a copy of the tax return for us to keep, and that was it. We were leaving the office at 11.05 am, could hardly believe how easy it was.

Well, I have been confused about mine for at least two years, but always wondering at the advice here on the forum, on passing the tax man so popped in, within five minutes I saw an employee, gave him my story, I popped up on his screen and he asked a few more questions and said I didn't need to pay a cent, but if I wanted assurance, he gave me the number to phone which I duly did and got the same reply. Happy moi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts