Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Perhaps he is hoping that the population see it as "compensation" for the sweeping eradication of basic human rights that ws just brough into farce, sorry I mean force.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Perhaps he is hoping that the population see it as "compensation" for the sweeping eradication of basic human rights that ws just brough into farce, sorry I mean force.
No, I don't think anyone will see any connection.
He thinks people will just see more money in my pocket = good government.
Unfortunately, I think he's right!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Errrrm Lynn as my tax advisor ( thanks again for the recent calculations) since my liability worked out as zero, and now the tax in Spain has dropped- does this mean that the ultra poor like myself will RECEIVE money from the taxman instead of paying it?

Oh boy what a country. I feel a 50" LG Smart tv coming on paid for by Hacienda!!!

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a separate report in El Pais yesterday. it said Rajoy "let it slip" (accidentally on purpose, no doubt) that he intends to lower IVA next year (if re-elected, of course). He certainly looks to be nailing his colours firmly to the theme of tax cuts for the election campaign.

As Pesky Wesky says, he may be right. Economic competence and stability does tend to come higher in voters' lists of priorities than human rights, and perhaps it should. Without that, there isn't really a solid platform from which to build other things. What other country in the world can you think of which is desperately poor but has a spotless record on human rights?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Errrrm Lynn as my tax advisor ( thanks again for the recent calculations) since my liability worked out as zero, and now the tax in Spain has dropped- does this mean that the ultra poor like myself will RECEIVE money from the taxman instead of paying it?

Oh boy what a country. I feel a 50" LG Smart tv coming on paid for by Hacienda!!!
I wouldn't get carried away or start placing any orders.:D

The simulator didn't show you were due any refunds.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I watched his very upbeat and reassuring speech yesterday about Spain's slow but sure recovery, and how important it is not to rock the boat now by changing tack. For a few seconds he almost convinced me. Then I noticed he kept repeating that there were more people employed now than when the PP came into power in 2010. He was comparing November figures with June figures. Employment is always higher in summer because so many Spanish jobs are seasonal. What other "facts" are his spin doctors manipulating to attract our vote?

In 2014, 35% of jobs were on temporary contracts. The trade union spokesman interviewed after Rajoy's speech estimated that this could now be as high as 40%. That has risen from 25% in 2010. The average duration of these jobs is 53 days. Those workers can't make plans for the future, take out mortgages, start families, even buy a new TV on credit. How can this be considered economic recovery? He's as full of bullsh1t as ever.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

You may laugh, but that does happen - I've just been refunded €31 for tax on savings interest withheld by the bank.

Not enough for a smart TV, or even a stupid one, but enough for a couple of mojitos and tapas tonight :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts