Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new resident here, so is currently looking to file my first tax return.

I made my first entry to Aus as PR on April 2016, stay for few days and returned home country Malaysia to continue work until mid Jan 2017.
And i started my first job in Aus around mid of Fen 2017 and registered TFN at the same time.

I wonder do i need to declare my employment income from home country dated July 2016 to mid Jan 2017?

Thanks all in advanced. :)

Regards,
Lee

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All,

I made my first entry to Aus as PR on April 2016, stay for few days and returned home country Malaysia to continue work until mid Jan 2017.
And i started my first job in Aus around mid of Fen 2017 and registered TFN at the same time.

I wonder do i need to declare my employment income from home country dated July 2016 to mid Jan 2017?

Regards,
Lee
Anyone please?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Anyone please?
AFAIK, no. You were not resident in the country for that period. Do keep a copy of your tax returns from your current country, as well as air ticket receipts, to prove country of residence. This is one of the reasons why it's NOT a good idea to file for TFN on validation trips (I note you didn't.

Reactions: kllee1983

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your favorable reply!

AFAIK, no. You were not resident in the country for that period. Do keep a copy of your tax returns from your current country, as well as air ticket receipts, to prove country of residence. This is one of the reasons why it's NOT a good idea to file for TFN on validation trips (I note you didn't.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hi All,

Regards,
Lee
Check ATO site. They are quite extensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.