Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My wife and I are planning a move to the SW of France later this year. She is in receipt of her UK State Pension and I will be taking early retirement. We will not have a mortgage, but will be living off our savings and her pension for 3 years, when my UK pension becomes available.

I'd like to have some idea of the monthly cost needed to live comfortably in SW france. We will own a car, but do not live a lavish life. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mrwec111

·
Registered
664 Posts
Difficult question - what is comfortable? If your wife is retired then she should get health costs paid for by UK - but I don't know if you will be covered - you need to phone Newcastle. If you are not going to be covered then you need to get private health insurance - let's say £5k per year - but get a quote from someone. Legal requirement to be covered.

I would be thinking somewhere in the region of 2000€ per month, including local taxes, gas, electricity, phone, internet, top-up health insurance, car + home insurance etc for living expenses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends also on where you are going to live in SW France. The Gers is much cheaper than Biarritz, Cities are more expensive than le campagne. Do you want to rent or buy? Although it's generally a buyers market, this is not everywhere the case. I live in Biarritz. Great place to live.
Edouard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.