Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be relocating to Canada in the next few months (my canadian wife wishes to spend some time with her family after an 11 year absence).
I will retain my current employment, will work remotely (email, phone, skype etc.) and fly back periodically to assist when required.
My question is, will i have any issues with regards to being funded from outside of the country. Will i be able to secure a rental property, bank account, credit cards etc. in the absence of a canadian income stream ?
Seems good on paper to be financially secure, but it may be more complicated than i thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Will be relocating to Canada in the next few months (my canadian wife wishes to spend some time with her family after an 11 year absence).
I will retain my current employment, will work remotely (email, phone, skype etc.) and fly back periodically to assist when required.
My question is, will i have any issues with regards to being funded from outside of the country. Will i be able to secure a rental property, bank account, credit cards etc. in the absence of a canadian income stream ?
Seems good on paper to be financially secure, but it may be more complicated than i thought.
It all works on paper, however the one thing your must remember is you will not have a credit rating.

Setting up a bank account will be no worries, you just need to walk in to the branch in person with ID,

However since you have no credit rating, it is impossible to get a credit card without a deposit, so essentially it 500 dollar deposit for 500 dollar credit card..

There has been some successes with others getting credit cards from a few select banks but this is hit and miss.

it will take you a while but once you have a credit rating, you should be fine. It will just be the initial Phone account, credit card, rental... that will be a small issue but easy to work around!

·
Banned
709 Posts
Regardless of where the income is coming from, once you are resident in Canada you have to file, and pay, Canadian taxes. Eventually, you can use your tax filings as proof of income. Initially, however, getting into some rentals (usually the ones you really want, lol) will be tough even with a letter from an out of country employer. We had this issue when returning to Canada from the UK, and I was still working for my UK employer. Is your wife not planning to work in Canada?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.