Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know whether if you are on a spouse visa in the UK (5years) you will need to pay for normal NHS treatment? I heard there were new measures, but have these already arrived yet? Thanks if anyone knows.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If you are already in UK on spouse visa without having had to pay health surcharge, you can just register with a GP and get NHS treatment without payment. When you come to renew your leave after 30 months, you will have to pay health surcharge of £500.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NHS treatment...

Hi Joppa, many thanks for your reply. I heard that to satisfy the NHS ordinary residence test to make you eligible for free treatment one would now need to have ILR. So are you sure someone only on a spouse visa would be OK?

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Hi Joppa, many thanks for your reply. I heard that to satisfy the NHS ordinary residence test to make you eligible for free treatment one would now need to have ILR. So are you sure someone only on a spouse visa would be OK?
If you are resident in the UK on a Spouse visa you are eligible to use the NHS without cost at point of service.

Reactions: brainstormer

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've been here almost 2 years on my first part of the 5 year spouse visa. NHS services are not charged for us. I too will have to pay the 500GBP fee when I go for FLR next March.

Reactions: brainstormer

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi yes I know for sure it was free for spouse visa up until April 2015. However I am wondering if it has changed since then. I have just been reading something on the gov website as follows:

The Immigration Act 2014 made changes to the charging rules. These changes are two*
fold. First, section 39 of the Act changes the meaning of ‘ordinary residence’ in section 175
of the National Health Service Act, as it relates to non-EEA nationals who are subject to
immigration control. Such individuals, in addition to satisfying the existing test for ordinary
residence, must also now have indefinite leave to remain in the UK in order to be ordinarily
resident here. This has effect from 6 April 2015. Chapter 3 provides more information about
ordinary residence.

This is from the document at the following link at paragraph 2.5:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...enting_overseas_charging_regulations_2015.pdf

Just wondering if they are carrying this out in practice now or even if not then maybe you would get a bill later on?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
1.2 The following categories of overseas visitor are exempt from charge:
Those who have paid the health surcharge or are covered by transitional arrangements
• Any non-European Economic Area (EEA) national, subject to immigration control, is exempt from charge if one of the following applies to them while their leave to enter/remain is still valid:

Chapter 1. Exempt services and individuals

they have paid the surcharge; or

they are exempt from payment of the surcharge or have had the requirement waived or reduced, or have had part (but not all) of the surcharge refunded to them; or

they would have been covered under one of the above, but for the fact that they applied for leave to enter or remain in the UK before the start of the surcharge (this will include those already resident here without indefinite leave to remain, and a small number of people arriving after 6 April 2015).
So you are fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.