Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance and i are almost set and ready to apply for him to come from Canada here to the UK on a Tier 5 YMS Visa, yet the visa4uk site is down (and has been for 2 days now :mad: ) so we dont know if he needs to get a Biometric Residence Permit, or even how to get one from his city (Calgary).

We know he needs to fill out the Appendix 7 form, and the application form on visa4uk, but we dont know if he has to also fill out the VAF9 application form, or any others. Does he just send these forms with his passport, photo and maintenece proof to the UK Durham address from a post office, because his nearest visa application center is 4 hours drive away and it wont be safe to drive that far for a long time yet.

Can someone please help clear this process up for me, ive been up all night every night trying to find out everything i can, and if i cant figure out the process and what we need to do my relationship is over :/

Please help!

·
Registered
39,125 Posts
Tier 5 YMS must be applied for outside UK, in this case in Canada. Hopefully the Visa4UK site will be up and running soon and you can apply online. In case of prolonged disruption, contact the UK visa office and you may be told to complete the paper form. There is no alternative to getting the biometrics done at one of the visa application centres in Canada. I know it involves a lot of travelling for some, but it can't be helped.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fiance has found out today that he can get it done at any police station, and it says so on their website which is a great relief. The visa4uk site is up and he'll be fillinf out the application asap, but we dont know what he needs to send to the UK or even when (passport, photo etc). Can you give me any advice on that? What to send and where

·
Registered
39,125 Posts
From UKBA Canada page:
All visa applicants unless they are exempt from enrolling their biometric information must book an appointment at either one of our visa application centres in Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver or Toronto or at one of our mobile biometric clinics in Halifax or St John's. You must attend the appointment in person.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/canada/applying/book-appointment/?langname=UK

Where did you find you can do at a police station?

If you go to Toronto for biometrics, they can mail your application for you to Sheffield. If you go to any other visa application centre, you have to mail it yourself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He called and asked and apparently a few people he knws have got them from a police station too. He doesnt know where he needs to send the appendix 7 and if he sends it with his passport and the other 2 required documents, will it just post them straight here to the UK from a post office after or before completing his online application? Or is there no paperwork to be sent when you apply online?

·
Registered
39,125 Posts
He can't get biometrics done at a police station and UKBA won't accept them. So if he tries to mail his application with biometrics done at a police station to Sheffield, it will be rejected and sent back. Biometrics taken at the visa application centre are sent electronically to UKBA.

Are you sure others who got them done at a police station were applying for UK visas? The thing to do is to go online and book a biometric appointment through WorldBridge.

Will you please tell your partner that instead to find a way around the problem, he should do as instructed and book a biometric appointment at a visa application centre and arrange travels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell me about it, hes addiment that it will work. Apparently from the police center they can take the appropriate information and send it to the visa office in Edmonton. Im trying to explain it to him but he doesnt understand the signifficance of being sure about it, im kind of tired of doing all this research for him anyway hes a grown man, its not my problem anymore. Thanks for all your help its been really useful

·
Registered
39,125 Posts
There are no shortcuts to getting a UK visa. You have to follow the instruction on the UKBA site exactly. Those who don't won't get processed so waste their time, energy and possibly money. I know. I've been dealing with this for over 40 years!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive been trying to tell him this but he doesnt listen, he can do it on his own now anyway its not my responsibility to do all this research, hes the one making the move, or attempting to anyway. Thanks for the advice, even if im the only one absorbing it out of the 2 of us haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.