Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Is it possible to import Wine into Dubai for personal consumption. I know there are rules about purchasing alcohol but wondered if this was possible.

Thks

·
Banned
423 Posts
Unfortunately no. If you go to any of the international wine suppliers you will see it's not allowed.

Unless you fancy some bootlegging...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately no. If you go to any of the international wine suppliers you will see it's not allowed.

Unless you fancy some bootlegging...
Thanks for the reply - i guess we will have to make do with what we can buy locally.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Thanks for the reply - i guess we will have to make do with what we can buy locally.
Weirdly enough there are plenty of decent wines (and esp whiskies) available locally. Best bet is Barracuda up Emirates Road, about an hour from Downtown Dubai. You don't pay the 30% tax there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
no need to import wine because you can check out the available wine here in dubai . i guess youll be amazed of the many kinds of wine available.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The Cellar in RAK has the best selection of wines and unlike the Barracuda their wine doesn't sit for days in containers at Jebel Ali. Many F&B managers source from there.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Weirdly enough there are plenty of decent wines (and esp whiskies) available locally. Best bet is Barracuda up Emirates Road, about an hour from Downtown Dubai. You don't pay the 30% tax there.
Is a license needed here?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just waiting for the doom and gloom posters that will remind you that officially its illegal to buy drink, hoard it, look at it,smell it, carress it or bathe in booze without a license. Yep we know, but to physically put booze in your trolley, walk to the cashier, hand over some nice crisp dhs notes and walk out to your car, no you dont need a license at the Cellar, Barracuda or Pearl hotel in UAQ. After that your on your own.

·
Registered
191 Posts
my friend got caught last new year he was on the way home from Ajman where he purchased some booze for a party. there was this checkpoint. he was caught with the booze and landed in jail for almost three months and was deported after.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
my friend got caught last new year he was on the way home from Ajman where he purchased some booze for a party. there was this checkpoint. he was caught with the booze and landed in jail for almost three months and was deported after.
Ouch, Filippino friend?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
yes sir. was a very good friend of mine. he told me thirtieth of december that he wont go get booze on new year but he went anyway, maybe he changed his mind.rumors were also that somebody tipped of the police.
I asume it wasn't one or two bottles either?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I asume it wasn't one or two bottles either?

i think he was caught with more or less 5 bottles of wine and 3 cases of beer. and he forgot to bring his license with him on that trip. sorry day for my friend it cost him about 35 thousand dirhams poorer.:(

·
Registered
536 Posts
Confused

If he had a license but just neglected to carry it would he not be covered? Was this in Dubai, Sharjah or Ajman?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.