Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, currently living in Lanzarote

I've spent 6 months so far trying to import my GSXR1000 2013 model. It failed because Senor Hitler at the ITV said the light must go up to the right. My beam is flat.
So I tried to order a Spanish version from my local Suzuki shop. He was very helpful and made sure that Suzuki Spain sent me the right one. Waited and waited in true Spanish style. Nada

In last few days I've been doing some research .

I've Googled and there are 2 sorts of lights. Asymmetrical which go up left or right. Then symmetrical which are flat beams.
The symbols on the light show how it is valid. One arrow either way show it is for left or right. Double arrows show it is legal for all countries. I’ve done a lot of Google stuff.
Mine has 2 double arrow symbols. The symbol on the lens is E13.

With help from Kiko from Suzuki Arrecife, we’ve proved that my headlight is exactly the same as his OWN bike that is in the showroom. His is the 2016 model. He shone his bike against the wall. Flat beam
And all the numbers and symbols on lens match mine

All GSXR1000s from 2011 - 2016 have the same light.

And breathe

So now I know that my headlight is legal here coz it’s the same as a Spanish one, I just need to prove it to senor Hitler
I’ve found lots of Google stuff in English to show that it’s all OK, but not in Spanish

Can any of you wonderful people offer any help ?

Yorick

PS, I’ll join in the forum discussions very soon as it looks like nice place 

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
With help from Kiko from Suzuki Arrecife, we’ve proved that my headlight is exactly the same as his OWN bike that is in the showroom. His is the 2016 model. He shone his bike against the wall. Flat beam
And all the numbers and symbols on lens match mine

All GSXR1000s from 2011 - 2016 have the same light.
As Kiko at Suzuki is based there can she (think Kiko is a woman's name ?) not give you some sort of Tech Info that you can present to Mr Franco pointing out his stupidity. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As Kiko at Suzuki is based there can she (think Kiko is a woman's name ?) not give you some sort of Tech Info that you can present to Mr Franco pointing out his stupidity. ;)
Hi, he did call them ages ago, but no banana. Gonna try to get some proper proof myself

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plot thickened and then thickened a bit more LOL

My techie translator pal went to the local Suzuki dealer where the owner has his own 1000L6 2016 in the shop. It turns out that the 1,000 wasn't sold in Spain between 2012 and 2016 so he had to import it officially through his Suzuki shop and it took him 10 months.

So the headlights match coz his a UK bike LOL

But, the fact that he's managed to import it at all is good for us. He has lent us all the import paperwork for my pal to show the ITV folk tmrw, along with loads of photos.
And he has agreed to attent the ITV centre if needed. To show his bike and to speak as a representative of Suzuki

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
624 Posts
We had a similar situation with a Suzuki , GSXR 1000L2 2012 model. It has brembo brakes and few other mods that come as standard , Mr ITV thought they were after market parts so it caused an issue. We had to get an engineers report to verify it was standard as purchased from the shop. This solved the problem. I found a local engineer through googling and he did the report and spoke with the ITV engineer. It cost us 60 euros for the engineers work . He really enjoyed doing the report saying he didnt see many bikes like this in Spain. Worth it to ge the bike on Spanish plates.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a winner. My pal does 10 ITV thingies each month and knows the head honcho.

Anyway, Head Honcho calls us in to see the light. He explained that mine was first flat beam they'd seen, but more and more were coming in. So he had to seek clearance from higher up.

Got the paperwork through today. Now pay a bit of tax, see police traffico, and get me a Spanish Reg Plate

:)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Glad it got srted. It does take a lot of time occasionally. Another time when you are expecting the problems it sails through without anyone asking questions ! & welcome from another funster. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woo Hoo. I got the paperwork done today at Trafico and went straight to get a reg plate made :)

The law apparently hasn't been changed. They have just changed the way that it's interpreted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts