Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the 6th Annual CPD Immigration Law conference, held on 9 March 2012, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, the Hon Chris Bowen MP announced changes to the Permanent Employer-Sponsored visa program. These changes will be implemented from 1 July 2012.

The changes are the result of a review of the permanent employer-sponsored program which was conducted during 2011. The visas affected are the permanent Employer Nomination Scheme, Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme and Labour Agreements.

Permanent Employer-Sponsored Visa Program Reforms

Diagram of Changes

Comparison Chart

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Looked through the changes and it's actually a major consolidation and is gearing towards an 'invitation' immigration system (aka NZ EOI similar) instead of a 'skills needed at some point fill the pool' system.

It's actually going to simplify as you're going to:
(1) skills list instead of (4)
Streamlined PR apps for those already holding 457
Fewer visa types.

The complications are going to be for those in 'transition' with applications already in.

Ideally the apps already in get assessed against the original criteria at time of application but AU Immi has often chosen instead to apply latest criteria to undecided applications.

I haven't read all of the links but I wonder how the 'priority' system will be changed to account for the new reforms.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wasn't sure how to read this, can someone please help with my situation?

I was sponsored on a 457 6 months ago. Under the current system I had to wait 2 years to apply for employer sponsored PR so that I didn't have to undergo the skill tests. My job isn't on the SOL but is on ESOL. This leaves me with 2 questions:

1 do I still need to wait for the 2 year period?

2 would my role need to be on the SOL list or can it still be on the ESOL?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I read, SkillSelect will be the pool of workers from which the workers will be given Visas automatically (the most skilled ones), and employers would also could pick from this list.

However, it doesn't cancel the option of employers to pick their own employees overseas outside of SkillSelect. But I guess it will still require EOI and approval by SkillSelect to examine whether the candidate has sufficient skills which justify the selection of the employer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.