Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My husband and I are thinking of taking the plunge and living in Australia - we have lived in several different areas of the USA, and would like to experience a different culture and work environment while we still fairly young.

My husband works in computer security - He has over 13 years experience in IT, and 7 years specifically in computer security and holds his CISSP, GIAC and another SANS certs that escapes me now. What he doesn't have is his degree.

Does anyone have any experience with if this will cause him to not receive a working visa?

I am also in IT, specifically software quality assurance. While my job is not on the critical list like his, I do have a bachelor of science that will hopefully help with my search.

Does Australia use headhunters in job searches - if so any IT specific ones?

Any information or input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Tas:

If he has experience but no degree he can still pass a skills assessment for his CISSP (which luckily gets priority processing at the moment). He will need to go to ACS and download the forms for a RPL (recognition of prior learning) assessment.

Once he has passed his assessment he can apply for the visa and the degree issue does not affect that as he would have a successful ACS assessment.

The RPL is quite alot of writing (like project reports) so the knowledge and experience can be verified.

AU does have headhunters, but he should start his search at the regular job portals: seek.com.au and careerone.com.au

The industries tend to be the same for IT Security here (Telecom, Banks, Insurance).

Good luck with your search :)

P.S. : I'm also a CISSP (Access Control & Auditing Domains).

Hello all!

My husband and I are thinking of taking the plunge and living in Australia - we have lived in several different areas of the USA, and would like to experience a different culture and work environment while we still fairly young.

My husband works in computer security - He has over 13 years experience in IT, and 7 years specifically in computer security and holds his CISSP, GIAC and another SANS certs that escapes me now. What he doesn't have is his degree.

Does anyone have any experience with if this will cause him to not receive a working visa?

I am also in IT, specifically software quality assurance. While my job is not on the critical list like his, I do have a bachelor of science that will hopefully help with my search.

Does Australia use headhunters in job searches - if so any IT specific ones?

Any information or input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback amaslam - I will take a look at the forms required & pass on the info to my husband. Since you are a CISSP, any feedback on how you feel computer security is in Australia, or perhaps how each of the major cities are approaching security? Even here in the US the response is varied from company to company & in different regions, but the government as a whole as made it a recognizable priority. The issue is most of the jobs are in snowy regions like NY & DC - been there done that, no more snow thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

Most of the IT Security jobs are in Sydney, Melbourne, and Canberra. For now concentrate on SYD and MEL, should you get AU Citizenship in the future (you can still hold your US Citizenship) you can then go for AU Government jobs in Canberra and quite a few are in fields like Security, SAP, Governance.

The Banks seem to do the large projects which would to similar to the US with other industries taking a slower approach.

Thanks for the feedback amaslam - I will take a look at the forms required & pass on the info to my husband. Since you are a CISSP, any feedback on how you feel computer security is in Australia, or perhaps how each of the major cities are approaching security? Even here in the US the response is varied from company to company & in different regions, but the government as a whole as made it a recognizable priority. The issue is most of the jobs are in snowy regions like NY & DC - been there done that, no more snow thanks. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts