Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is there any advantage if we have some certification like SCJP for Java for jobs in Australia?

Does the certification add any extra weight to the resume, besides 4-5 years of experience in the same technology?

Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
It can help the resume get noticed, or a foot in the door for an interview. After it's the main interview where you might be asked to explain how you used skills of that certification in a real project.

A certification, a degree is often a tick mark that HR depts use to shortlist candidates, more weight is given to real world experience examples and successfully completed projects when explained during an interview.

Hi,

Is there any advantage if we have some certification like SCJP for Java for jobs in Australia?

Does the certification add any extra weight to the resume, besides 4-5 years of experience in the same technology?

Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Amaslam,

Thanks for your response.

From your post, I understand that in Australia, a certification is considered as something "extra" to one's real time experience, but not demanded by employers or someone is rejected just because they dont have a certification.

Real Time Experience is the most important factor and a person with 4-5 years of experience is not shown the door, just because he/she doesnt have a certification.

Please correct me if Im wrong!!

It can help the resume get noticed, or a foot in the door for an interview. After it's the main interview where you might be asked to explain how you used skills of that certification in a real project.

A certification, a degree is often a tick mark that HR depts use to shortlist candidates, more weight is given to real world experience examples and successfully completed projects when explained during an interview.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
There are job postings that do demand a certification, but not all jobs demand them. As always the real work experience and interview is the main deciding factor but many recruiters and company HR use a certification to filter candidates.

Hi Amaslam,

Thanks for your response.

From your post, I understand that in Australia, a certification is considered as something "extra" to one's real time experience, but not demanded by employers or someone is rejected just because they dont have a certification.

Real Time Experience is the most important factor and a person with 4-5 years of experience is not shown the door, just because he/she doesnt have a certification.

Please correct me if Im wrong!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts