Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello.tell me if you know about it :) what is the import taxes in france.and the france import tax is same for all countries like pakistan and china.regards Fahad.

·
Administrator
49,828 Posts
What do you mean by "import tax"?

Basically, if you import from outside the EU, you don't pay VAT on the importation, but you must charge your French customer VAT. You have no VAT to deduct on the cost of the items you purchased from outside the EU, so you remit the full amount to the fisc.

There may be customs or other tarifs on particular categories of goods on import.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bev for your kind reply. you know my englsih is not good :) so i want that you clear few things.your post have clear me that if i export goods from outside of the eu i dont have to pay VAT to governement of france.there is no vat on export from outside of the eu.but i have to charge customers vat(19.6 %).so after selling my product with value added tax (vat) do i have to pay the vat to governement of france which i have get from selling my product.am i right or wrong? regaqrds fahad

·
Administrator
49,828 Posts
thanks bev for your kind reply. you know my englsih is not good :) so i want that you clear few things.your post have clear me that if i export goods from outside of the eu i dont have to pay VAT to governement of france.there is no vat on export from outside of the eu.but i have to charge customers vat(19.6 %).so after selling my product with value added tax (vat) do i have to pay the vat to governement of france which i have get from selling my product.am i right or wrong? regaqrds fahad
Depending on the product, yes 19.6% is the going VAT rate, and as a business (unless you're an auto-entrepreneur, which means you aren't VAT registered) you pay the VAT to the government on all sales within France.

As an auto-entrepreneur, you simply report the amount of all your sales and they tax you on part of that (i.e. they make an allowance for your cost of merchandise, etc. based on a percentage of your revenue).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
154 Posts
What do you mean by "import tax"?

Basically, if you import from outside the EU, you don't pay VAT on the importation, but you must charge your French customer VAT. You have no VAT to deduct on the cost of the items you purchased from outside the EU, so you remit the full amount to the fisc.

There may be customs or other tarifs on particular categories of goods on import.
Cheers,
Bev
I guess the OP means what's the customs duty or tariff... I don't know it either, but I've always asumed there IS a customs duty (30, 40, 50%?) for products entering France from outside the EU. Otherwise, there'd be no need of a customs-union (one of the basic elements of the EU) which does not impose duties or tariff to intra-EU trade but charges the duty to those products coming from outside the EU (besides VAT).

Cheers,
jacques.

·
Registered
564 Posts
There are import duties on items imported to France from outside the EU. These tariffs range from 5-17% for manufactured goods. (0% for some raw materials). So it varies very much what you want to import. You'll have to check the customs site for France or the EU since these tariffs should be the same for all of the EU.

You should look for the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

I guess the OP means what's the customs duty or tariff... I don't know it either, but I've always asumed there IS a customs duty (30, 40, 50%?) for products entering France from outside the EU...
You're right but a bit high on those %. I think it's only Argentina that charges crazy high import duties. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.