Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is just about to apply for British Citizenship.

Assuming the application is successful and she becomes a British citizen, what implications does that have on her Filipino citizenship?

1) Regarding Philippine Immigration, will she then have to have visas / immigration time limits etc when travelling back to the Philippines?

2) As her husband, will I no longer be able to have Balikbayan stamp?

3) Also, her being a British citizen, will this affect me getting balikbayan stamp if living in Philippines long-term?

4) In other words, will becoming a British citizen cancel out her Filipino citizenship, or will she become dual citizen of both UK / Phils?

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My wife is just about to apply for British Citizenship.

Assuming the application is successful and she becomes a British citizen, what implications does that have on her Filipino citizenship?

1) Regarding Philippine Immigration, will she then have to have visas / immigration time limits etc when travelling back to the Philippines?

She will initially lose her Philippine citizenship and travel to the Philippines as a balikbayan. She will only be allowed to own a reduced amount of land in tthe Philippines. She can re-aquire her Philippine citizenship almost immediatly and become a dual citizen so nothing to lose any sleep over.

2) As her husband, will I no longer be able to have Balikbayan stamp?

Nothing changes.

3) Also, her being a British citizen, will this affect me getting balikbayan stamp if living in Philippines long-term?

Nothing changes

4) In other words, will becoming a British citizen cancel out her Filipino citizenship, or will she become dual citizen of both UK / Phils?

She will lose her Philippines citizenship which she can re-aquire with a quick visit to the Philippine embassy in London and pay about £30.

Many thanks
See above in red

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply Gary. Looks like not too big of a deal (Philippine citizenship wise).

So, reading your reply, am I correct in thinking that Philippine citizenship can be re-aquired by either a visit to the London Embassy prior to her next vist back to Phils...

OR

.. it can be re-aquired once she has returned to the Philippines (as Balikbayan) upon her next visit there?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the confirmation!

BTW are you familiar with Yorkies bar / hotel? It was on the road heading towards Mariveles. I spent a few holidays in the Bataan area a few years ago. Mainly near to Cabcaben / Mountain View Sbd,.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thanks very much for the confirmation!

BTW are you familiar with Yorkies bar / hotel? It was on the road heading towards Mariveles. I spent a few holidays in the Bataan area a few years ago. Mainly near to Cabcaben / Mountain View Sbd,.
I'm not familiar with southern end of Bataan as our place is on the road between Dinilupihan and Olongapo. We Are back in the UK now, been back a week. Nice to get back to the cool weather. We'll be up in Durham in a couple of weeks to prick up No.1 son from University there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, it's nice to feel cool weather, the heat can certainly get to you at times.
Have a safe journey up to Durham!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts