Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Le Sphinx here, I'm due to move to London soon for work. I am a 30 something single guy and my take home will be around GBP4000/month. I would love to hear from fellow expats as to their initial experiences in the first 2-3 months in London mainly around:

* Getting around - is it necessary to buy a car or will public transport be enough to go to work, shopping and go out at night. I'm looking to budget £250 pm for transport, is that enough? Work in Sunbury and gonna be looking for a place 30min away...

* Accommodation - hoping to get a 2bd flat 30min from Sunbury. Budget of £1000 pm, is it realistic? Any good areas to recommend around?

* Food - budget of £200pm? Clothing/toiletries: £100pm

* Others - gym: £50pm? Entertainment/going out/outdoor activities etc: £300pm.

*Cellphone/Internet: £100pm?

Please let me know if I'm way off as to the cost of living :( - planning to use rest of the money (about £2000) to travel and save.

Thanks, merci beaucoup! Oh and hope to meet up with some of you :)

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Many thanks almost forgot about that - any idea how much in total that could cost me?
Very difficult to say without knowing what accommodation you end up with.

Have you tried Googling for rentals in Sunbury?

Are you aware that Sunbury is not in London but is in the Greater London area?

Rentals should be cheaper here than in central London and you have the choice of going further out for accommodation since your work is in Sunbury i.e further down the M3 for example. Shepperton, Walton on Thames, Chertsey comes to mind.

Think you should also budget for a car.

Also you should be asking you fellow workers, HR department for advice as to where to live.

Reactions: Le Sphinx

·
Registered
581 Posts
* Getting around - is it necessary to buy a car or will public transport be enough to go to work, shopping and go out at night. I'm looking to budget £250 pm for transport, is that enough? Work in Sunbury and gonna be looking for a place 30min away...

Sunbury isn't really London, OK, it may be, but it is more a suburb than London proper.

Where do you want to live? You say you want to live around 30 minutes away: why? If it was me I would try to live either close to the area (Twickenham, Hampton Court, Kingston are quite nice ant not far) or closer to London, where all entertainment is happening.

Depending on that you may or may not need a car, as a guidance the further away you are from central London the more you will need a car.

* Accommodation - hoping to get a 2bd flat 30min from Sunbury. Budget of £1000 pm, is it realistic? Any good areas to recommend around?

It is realistic, but rents vary wildly, you really need to decide where you want to live (and why) and get searching.

* Food - budget of £200pm? Clothing/toiletries: £100pm

That sounds about ok. You can actually check supermarkets' websites (popular ones are Tesco, Sainsburys, ASDA, Lidl).

* Others - gym: £50pm? Entertainment/going out/outdoor activities etc: £300pm.

Gym is about ok, it could be cheaper depending on which gym, time at which you want to go, etc.

As for going out, it depends what you want to do. £50 gill get you good seats in most things (theatre, football, concerts, opera, you name it), dinning out the minimum you will spend is £20-25/head in restaurant chains. in fancier places the sky is the limit.

*Cellphone/Internet: £100pm?

That is way more than you need. Mobile phone is £45/month if you get the most expensive handsets, it can be as cheap as £10-15 if you have your own handset and get a SIM only deal, as I guidance I pay £32/month for a 24 months contract (the standard) deal that includes a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Internet: you have to pay around £16 for line rental and then anything from £4 to £20 or more, depending on the provider, speed, offers, etc.

Again, you can check all this in websites either for broadband (Sky, BT, Talk-Talk and several others) or mobile (EE, 3, O2 and several others). Look for packages that bundle these services and pay TV, it will be cheaper.

Please let me know if I'm way off as to the cost of living :( - planning to use rest of the money (about £2000) to travel and save.

People have mentioned the utilities, council Tax and TV licence.

Other costs are related to car if you get one (insurance, tax, MOT), transport can also add up quite quickly, but to be honest you salary should be enough to pay for either car expenses or public transport, or a combination of both.

Also you may want house contents insurance.

And a reminder that UK housing is quite small, bring as little as possible with you otherwise you may find yourself paying storage.

Thanks, merci beaucoup! Oh and hope to meet up with some of you :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi jlms,

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback - very useful & much appreciated.
To comment further, I haven't decided exactly on an area where to live, just that I also do not want to spend "hours" commuting to work, 30 min max to work is my preference...

My initial work contract is 2 years with the option to renew so wondering if buying a small car is a good idea or rather looking to use public transportation...but I guess that also depends on where I live :(

Oh and good advise on the number of things to bring along when I move...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.