Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the UK and my partner in the USA. We have been considering her applying for a UK fiancee visa after the agency she was trying to get a UK teaching position through (to come in on a work visa) stopped operating in the USA.

Problem is that as I understand it I need to show I can support her until we get married and she can be given leave to work. That wouldn't have been an issue a year ago, but my job is seriously under threat. I have Aspergers and am very concerned that I'd not find another employer easily with the patience to work with me in getting the best out of me, if I could even pass an interview in the first place (I shut down if put on the spot or asked unexpected questions). I'd get a decent amount if I did lose my job (I've been there a long time) so with savings I really could manage for almost a year if I tightened my belt a bit (my mortgage is miniscule and almost paid off since I bought my place 20 years ago). I'm worried, though, that it wouldn't look good on paper.

Frankly, I'm very scared. The guidance I've found doesn't seem to be very specific and ambiguity un-nerves me (it's the Aspergers thing again). My partner is the reason I've climbed out of a self-esteem hole and if we can't be together I see myself ending up back there.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
MCS said:
I live in the UK and my partner in the USA. We have been considering her applying for a UK fiancee visa after the agency she was trying to get a UK teaching position through (to come in on a work visa) stopped operating in the USA.

Problem is that as I understand it I need to show I can support her until we get married and she can be given leave to work. That wouldn't have been an issue a year ago, but my job is seriously under threat. I have Aspergers and am very concerned that I'd not find another employer easily with the patience to work with me in getting the best out of me, if I could even pass an interview in the first place (I shut down if put on the spot or asked unexpected questions). I'd get a decent amount if I did lose my job (I've been there a long time) so with savings I really could manage for almost a year if I tightened my belt a bit (my mortgage is miniscule and almost paid off since I bought my place 20 years ago). I'm worried, though, that it wouldn't look good on paper.

Frankly, I'm very scared. The guidance I've found doesn't seem to be very specific and ambiguity un-nerves me (it's the Aspergers thing again). My partner is the reason I've climbed out of a self-esteem hole and if we can't be together I see myself ending up back there.
As you know the rules are about to change and it looks as if from June you need an income of £25700 to sponsor her. So without a job and limited amount of savings (if they are admissible), you will struggle to meet the new requirement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you know the rules are about to change and it looks as if from June you need an income of £25700 to sponsor her. So without a job and limited amount of savings (if they are admissible), you will struggle to meet the new requirement.
I do hope not, then, as that would finish me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.