Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't aware that signing on to the padron gave rights to healthcare in Spain? I must be missing something:confused:
According to what I'm hearing and the minister is saying, immigrants, legal or illegal have two basic human rights - healthcare and education - and to get those you only need the padron, so it does give you the right to health care...

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
According to what I'm hearing and the minister is saying, immigrants, legal or illegal have two basic human rights - healthcare and education - and to get those you only need the padron, so it does give you the right to health care...
free??

non-emergency?

I'm thinking of all the people in the Valencia region who only chose this area because of the promise of free access to healthcare

but now the government has removed that right, as I know has been discussed here before

there was a march recently

brits march for healthcare rights

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
free??

non-emergency?

I'm thinking of all the people in the Valencia region who only chose this area because of the promise of free access to healthcare

but now the government has removed that right, as I know has been discussed here before

there was a march recently

brits march for healthcare rights
Yes, I know, but this is what I mean, when Rubalcaba says"inmigrantes tienen el derecho a la sanidad y la educación" First paragraph

Rubalcaba señala que el padrón sirve para garantizar los derechos sociales también de los inmigrantes 'sin papeles'. europapress.es

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
Yes, I know, but this is what I mean, when Rubalcaba says"inmigrantes tienen el derecho a la sanidad y la educación" First paragraph

Rubalcaba señala que el padrón sirve para garantizar los derechos sociales también de los inmigrantes 'sin papeles'. europapress.es
the right to health & education eh?

that's going to set the cat among the pigeons!

the quote marks could be misleading though - did Rubalcaba say that or is the reporter putting his own slant on what constitutes human rights?

·
Registered
843 Posts
In a couple of years time, when our E106 certificate expires, we will be obliged to take out private medical insurance, as we don't pay into the Spanish social security system, and are not of state pensionable age. I don't fancy my chances quoting the fact that I have 'a basic human right to healthcare'.

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong, it's just what's being reported in all the media. This is what Zapatero has said today...

El jefe del Ejecutivo español, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, ha asegurado que no permitirá que por un "truco" de un Ayuntamiento, en referencia a la intención del de Vic de no permitir el empadronamiento de los inmigrantes en situación irregular, haya personas que queden sin asistencia sanitaria o cuyos hijos no puedan acudir a la escuela.

José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, has given assurance that he will not allow there to be people who are not covered by health care nor children unable to attend school because of a trick by a Town Hall referring to the intention of Vic to not allow illegal immigrants the padron.

From this article, first paragraph
Zapatero afirma que no admitirá "trucos" que limiten los derechos de los inmigrantes - RTVE.es

So what asistencia medica are they referring to exactly??

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Valencia will do whatever they feel like. That is the experience of the past ten years and unless Zappy and Camps can kiss and make up (highly unlikely!) the Valencia position will always be opposed to anything coming from the PSOE "leadership"

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
"Inmigrantes en situacion irregular" - sounds a bit different to "inmigrantes ilegales" doesn't it. What's the differentiation?

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Inmigrantes en situacion irregular" - sounds a bit different to "inmigrantes ilegales" doesn't it. What's the differentiation?
I don't think there's any difference. I think it's just a politer/ nicer/ more pc?? way of saying the same thing like saying elderly instead of old.

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vic has had to do an about turn, and will be registering immigrants without papers
Vic Town Hall does an about turn and will register all immigrants
I'm still trying to find out what the healthcare mentioned by the government is exactly.
This is the reply I got when I sent an email to Madrid consular enquiries asking about the healthcare for illegal immigrants. It took 7 days including the weekend.

Thank you for your email regarding healthcare.

I appreciate that the recent debate about illegal immigrants and the padrón may have muddied the waters rather around how to access to free healthcare in Spain. Being "empadronado" is one of the basic requirements to receive free state healthcare in Spain (except in the case of visitors with an EHIC). This applies to Spanish Nationals, legal immigrants and illegal immigrants.

However, this is only one of the requirements; the other main requirement being that you pay social security contributions, that you are in receipt of a benefit or that you are dependant on somebody in the aforementioned groups. Nevertheless, if somebody has an income less than the minimum wage they may qualify for free means-tested healthcare: Seguridad Social: Normativa. Some illegal immigrants may qualify to access healthcare through this means if they have no work or other income and therefore quite often confusion is created about what the real requirements are for accessing free state healthcare in Spain. It is also worth mentioning that nobody should be refused free emergency treatment at point of access in Spain.

I hope that I have been able to clear up any doubts that you had. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions.

Best Regards,

Martin Fitches

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.