Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I recently got married to a UK citizen, under my current working tier 2 visa. I did not need to apply for a marriage visa before the wedding. I've been in the UK for about 2 years (1st year as a student tier 4 and second year with tier 2). Since I already have a resident permit for another 2 years, i do not need to apply for a spouse sponsored resident card. However, if I were to apply for the indefinite leave to remain in 2 years time, should I apply for the resident card sponsored by my husband (it cost over £600). Could you please advice what is the best route to get the indefinite leave to remain in my case? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Since your first year under Tier 4 student doesn't count towards settlement, you need to wait 4 more years before eligible for settlement. You can either extend your Tier 2 General until ILR (if you can with sponsorship, a cheaper and shorter option) or switch to spouse leave. But this will reset your clock and you'll have to be here for 5 more years under spouse leave before eligible for ILR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Joppa,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure whether I will be able to extend my tier 2 visa as it is a project that last for only 3 years... Is it possible to apply for EEA2 instead of spouse to leave?

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Yes, but the UK has it's own rules and UK citizens are bound by those rules which take precedent over EEA rules. EEA permits are granted to spouses of citizens of other EU countries who are living in the UK.

You will apply to remain with family in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.