Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a UK investment professional (0111: Financial Managers), with a masters degree & 15 years experience, looking to immigrate to Canada and had some questions.

1. How long does the process take?

2. I am looking at Citizenship and Immigration Canada website and wondered if it is best to apply online?

3. Does that mean applying for a 'work-permit'?

4. How many days in Canada are required to maintain residency?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I am a UK investment professional (0111: Financial Managers), with a masters degree & 15 years experience, looking to immigrate to Canada and had some questions.

1. How long does the process take?
Applying for PR status should take 6-9 months

2. I am looking at Citizenship and Immigration Canada website and wondered if it is best to apply online?
I wasn't aware you could apply online. The forms can certainly be downloaded online, but I believe it has to be a paper application.

3. Does that mean applying for a 'work-permit'?
As a PR you would be entitled to work for whomever and wherever.

4. How many days in Canada are required to maintain residency?
You must be in Canada 2 years out of five and that's cumulative not consecutive.

Thanks for your help.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Auld Yin, appreciate your reply.

Apologies, you are correct about printing the forms.

I have a couple of follow on questions.

1. Is there a quicker path?

2. Is the time the same for 'Skilled workers and professionals' as 'Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people'?

3. Can I apply from within Canada, whilst on a 6m visitors visa?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Thanks Auld Yin, appreciate your reply.

Apologies, you are correct about printing the forms.

I have a couple of follow on questions.

1. Is there a quicker path?
I think 6-9 months is as fast as you're going to get it, unless there's an employer with a LMO in place and prepared to hire you.

2. Is the time the same for 'Skilled workers and professionals' as 'Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people'?
As far as I'm aware, possibly longer. I'm sure you've read the relevant sections of the CIC website.

3. Can I apply from within Canada, whilst on a 6m visitors visa?
Yes you can but you will require to return to UK at end of visit and wait out the process. I'm sure you are aware that you will not be allowed to work while on visitor's "visa".

Thanks
Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. Following these links brings up a couple more questions (thanks for following me with this!)

I have just looked at the website and I am confused as to whether I would be applying from within or outside of Canada. I am capable of doing both, depending on what is quicker.

a) # Processed in Canada
b)# Processed outside of Canada

Under option a)
Would I need a Canadian mailing address?
Also under section 'Permanent Residence Applications' - none of the subsections apply? not sure how they related to skilled worker application

Under b) it is unclear how long they are taking as it says
"Current processing times for Federal Skilled Worker applications received after February 26, 2008 will be available with the next update, in January/February 2010. This will mark 12 months of processing upon which the processing times can be calculated."

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Thanks again. Following these links brings up a couple more questions (thanks for following me with this!)

I have just looked at the website and I am confused as to whether I would be applying from within or outside of Canada. I am capable of doing both, depending on what is quicker.

a) # Processed in Canada
b)# Processed outside of Canada
I have read many opinions which suggest outland applications are dealt with quicker

Under option a)
Would I need a Canadian mailing address?No. You shouldn't really have a permanent Canadian mailing address.
Also under section 'Permanent Residence Applications' - none of the subsections apply? not sure how they related to skilled worker application

Under b) it is unclear how long they are taking as it says
"Current processing times for Federal Skilled Worker applications received after February 26, 2008 will be available with the next update, in January/February 2010. This will mark 12 months of processing upon which the processing times can be calculated."
The processing was changed on Feb.26/08 to speed up the process with the consequence that many applications pending before this date are still hanging somewhere. The 6-9 Months I quoted is based on many comments I've read over the past year but individual circumstances could well change this timeline.

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.