Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Canadian and I'm marrying an Englishman next August. I plan to stay in the UK with him after marriage, but I'm really confused about the income level we're supposed to have.

I work for myself at home here in Canada, but it isn't a registered business. I'm a freelancer, and I will have to pay my own taxes. It's my first year of business (I started in July) so I'm slowly building up clients and putting money away.

From my previous job, I have well over £18,600 in my savings (it's closer to £30k).

My husband-to-be makes more than £18,600, too, but he's also self-employed.

I'm really confused about how much money I need to have to stay in the UK permanently. Is it based on his earnings, or mine, or both? Should we pool our money in a bank account or something? I was planning on opening an HSBC account abroad soon just to get some money in there.

Is there anything else I should know/do before getting married? I know I need a visa to get married and give notice to our registrar, which we are planning to do when I visit in January, but I'm so confused by all the requirements I'm afraid I'm going to miss something. I really want to stay in the UK after August with as little stress or problems as possible :(

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Apply for fiancée visa, valid 6 months during which you give notice, get married and switch to leave to remain as partner/wife. To get your visa, you basically need to meet three requirements: financial, accommodation and genuine relationship.
It's your UK fiancé's income alone that counts. As he is self-employed, he needs to collect a whole range of documents. The most important is his latest annual account and tax papers.
Read carefully http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary Section 9.
While there is no need to pool your incomes, as yours doesn't count, opening a joint account is a good idea as evidence of shared financial responsibility of a genuine couple.
Make sure he has accommodation ready for you both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's brilliant, and very helpful. I was really confused about my income in particular.

I wonder if I will be able to work/be self-employed in the UK once I switch to partner/wife visa?

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Yes, after switching to partner leave without restriction, and when you come to renew in 2.5 years, both your incomes will count.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic. Thank you!

Proof of relationship is definitely not a problem, and he owns a house already. As long as we pass financial requirements I think the rest will be a breeze.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
I suggest he works closely with his accountant (if he has one) to provide the full documentation required by Home Office. Mistake can be costly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.