Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good lawyer in Los Angeles, dealing in immigration?

I currently live in Dubai, and I'm interested in moving to the US, permanently. Based on my research, an employment-based visa is my best option. I need a lawyer dealing in H1B visas.

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
You don't need an immigration lawyer, you need a job where the employer can get authorization for the H1B visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies!

I contacted a lawyer yesterday, and he said that his firm processes H1B visas on a regular basis, and that he'd be happy to assist. He also mentioned that I'd need to apply by April 2014 in order to start working as of October 2014, due to the limited number of these visas.

If only an employer can file for an H1B, what was this lawyer talking about?

Without a job offer, I'm guessing there isn't anything I can do at this point in time. So, what exactly did he mean when he said I would need to apply by April next year?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts

I contacted a lawyer yesterday, and he said that his firm processes H1B visas on a regular basis, and that he'd be happy to assist. He also mentioned that I'd need to apply by April 2014 in order to start working as of October 2014, due to the limited number of these visas.

Without a job offer, I'm guessing there isn't anything I can do at this point in time. So, what exactly did he mean when he said I would need to apply by April next year?
Why do you not do some research into H1B, its requirements and processing - travel.state.gov or uscis.gov are official US sites. Capped H1B is open for applicants in April; if approved they can start in October.

The lawyer is probably a so called ambulance chaser:>) Of course his firm files H1B - for employers.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts

The guy probably meant that he works with companies who are sponsoring their prospective employees for H1B's . The lawyer can't instigate an H1B - only an employer can.

You need to get a job offer first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts