Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a visa to work in Australia as a police officer but am worried that with the economic situ in Uk there may be major competition! Does anyone think it would improve my chances if I got an immigration lawyer?
Also my partner also wants to emigrate as a police officer, does anyone have any recommendations whether we should both apply or only one and the other on a spouse visa?
Thanks for reading! R

·
Registered
346 Posts
It obviously depends on your personal circumstances. If you lodge two separate applications you have twice as much chance to be successful, however costs of application double.

Also if you are 100% sure one of you meets all the criteria there might not be any benefit/point of lodging two applications. Migration agents (not lawyers) wouldn't make much difference providing you read and understand the process. They are only beneficiary if you don't have time or desire to read thru all the documentation and do the process yourself. If you choose to engage migration agent make sure they are MARA registered, this ensures they met the strict tests and requirements to be one. Also gives you a bit of protection in case the agent messes up (didn't hear yet of a MARA registered agent messing up, most of issues happen with non registered agents).

In regard to police recruitment, there were couple of recruitment campaigns by SAPOL in the UK. If I'm not wrong they received about 17 applications for each place. So quite a number of police officers choose to go thru visa process by themselves and apply when in Australia where competition is much lower.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My understanding is that you can only apply to the police force in Australia once you already have residency or citizenship. So unless you are recruited directly (like SAPOL and WAPOL did a few years ago) you cannot apply for a visa using Police as your trade. I would definitely recommend speaking to a migration agent tho for professional advice.

G

·
Thats right, unless there is a specific recruitment campaign from one of the states willing to sponsor you must already have citizenship or residence to be a police officer and there is no means to go independent as it is not on the skills list for that nor is there a skills assessing body for it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Police officer visa

I have turned the visa system inside out, spoke with migration experts in the uk and Australia and have found no way of getting a visa to Aus. I too am a police officer in the uk and simply cannot get to Australia. Anyone that finds a way around this I would love to hear from. I would quite happily apply for my own visa, jump on a plane and worry about getting a job when I get there but that is just simply not possible.
Anyone that can help please do. Australia needs police and we all want to live there !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.