Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Recently i read about immiCard... is it needed? I mean how do you prove your identity in AU? Cause you cant carry your passport everywhere? And how do u prove your PR? I suppose a few places could check your visa grant printout.. but there must be a better way?

Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hi there, Recently i read about immiCard... is it needed? I mean how do you prove your identity in AU? Cause you cant carry your passport everywhere? And how do u prove your PR? I suppose a few places could check your visa grant printout.. but there must be a better way? Thanks..
You don't need to prove your PR except in certain instances like enrolling for Medicare or starting a job so no PR card is needed. ImmiCard is for humanitarian visa holders only.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm ok... so u guyz carry passport everywhre? What about if police asks you to show your identity...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, u have to carry passport till the time you are able to get any Australian identity document which is primarily driving license or proof of age card.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that can be dangerous... there must be something else? I mean if a person dint drive, what will the card be? Also, i think the proof of age card if to prove your above 18, so its mainly for kids i suppose...

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Australia is not like other countries (perhaps like where you live) where everyone needs to carry ID around at all times. Police do not randomly stop people on the streets asking for ID. The only time you might need it on the street is at certain nightclubs that check ID to limit underage drinking. Also, if you break the law (for example, you get caught not paying your fare on public transport or you're caught jaywalking), you will also be asked for ID in that instance. Otherwise, if you are just going about your business as a law-abiding person, you don't need ID.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have been asked for ID - aside from specific instances where it's required like proving your identity when you rent a house, depositing a cheque at a bank, etc. Even for domestic flights, you generally aren't asked for photo ID (for web check ins anyway).

If you are overly concerned about this and you don't have a driver licence, you can apply for a proof of age/photo card from the state government. It's mainly for young adults who don't yet have driver licences but may need to show proof of age for buying alcohol but anyone can get one and would serve this purpose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts