Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my name is Andrew and im looking to move to dubai with my girl fiend and dog.

Iv been offered a job, the offer is 9000p/m + commision AED,Fully expenced company car, health insurance, x2 flights to uk per year, mobile phone.

Would this be enough to live on out there?, is food and drink expensive?, i would like to rent a 1 bed property near the expat community could you please let me know where the best place to look is?, my budget for a 1 bed property is around 3,500-4000AED, Would you know if bills would be included in the rental of the property?, If i have left any thing out could you please fill me in.

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi Andrew, I've put your post into the Dubai forum, you'll probably get a better response in here!!

Jo xxx

·
Banned
598 Posts
Is the 9000pm you are getting paid in aed or another currency?
IF its aed then you will be staying at home and eating ramen noodle 7 days a week. Sorry only trying to be truthful. But good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Andrew,
What field will you be working in?
You mentioned 9000 + commission, any ideas of monthly commission payment? eg (best poss scenario) etc
9000 (bit low) :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thanks for replying, i have been told that the commision ranges from 2000-10000aed p/m.
The field i will be working in is Pest Control Field Sales, i will be living on my own until jan 2010, then my partner will be looking to come over to work. what do you think?

·
Banned
48 Posts
Hi thanks for replying, i have been told that the commision ranges from 2000-10000aed p/m.
The field i will be working in is Pest Control Field Sales, i will be living on my own until jan 2010, then my partner will be looking to come over to work. what do you think?
A medium grade Indian engineer employed as my 2IC to report in my absents os is payed AED10000 p/m, AED12000 less than an Aus expat doing the same job.

AED9000 salary is low less than 50% the usual min. salary to UK citizen in non magnt role.

The purpase of being in Dubai is to make money if you can't no point being there.

Min accom allowance AED5500 p/m would put you in single bed apmt in International City, ok but fast becoming a bit third world.

Dont trust commission payments unless you know the company mgmt personally especially if owned/operated by non Euros not that expat ownership is a guarantee of ethical business either.

Re your dog, if it goes pear shaped here will it be allowed to re enter UK.

Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know its low, but what i was thinking is when my partner comes out in jan, then there may be an opportunity to save with both salery's coming in. any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I suggest you go and get some quotes for the cost of shipping your dog over, that alone may be enough to put you off.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Bro its a really bad idea to come here with that low of a salary. Just keep looking, somthing better will come along.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regarding the dog, we are currently looking for quotes, not sure how much it will be as yet but will keep you updated.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Not a fair question to ask me as we are a family of 4.
But most everything is $$$$$ here
housing
car
groceries
eating out
clothes
entertainment

we spend 9000 a month on 2 cars. so please you cant compare my lifestyle to what you would have to live here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats fair, thanks for being honest. They are flying me out there in the next few weeks, so when i meet the director i will try and neg the contract, if not then fair well sun shine hello lovely british rain. Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can certainly survive with it. But if you're into drinking, that can get pretty expensive here.

If you have your heart set on coming here, then do it. But know before hand that you will spend every fils you earned here and won't be taking any of it back with you. If you're OK with that, go for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, some good advice from the others members here re salary
I can see your from Slough, I'm currently in Windsor and have PM'ed you

Sonya

·
Registered
112 Posts
to add to the discussion - nobody seems to have mentioned that if you rent that they will need rent up front for a year. And that if it goes pear shape and you have your dog with you it will be very expensive to bring your dog back to the UK because of quarantine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.