Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for not replying before! Busy Busy Busy!!!
Thank you to those who replied to my thread in July last year!!!! any advice is of such help!
Well, I am loving my new job with London Ambulance! but our dreams are still in France!! I frequently visit lots of Property websites online!!

We have been doing some research and although it is only online at the mo we are looking at the possiblilty of Toulouse?? or atleast 1 hour from the airport! as you may remember that my husband works for British Airways at LHR and will commute most weekends using his staff travel tickets which are reasonalbe (infact cheaper than running our car up and down the M25 every day!!!)

The flight times are ideal for him to commute and the property prices look fairly reasonable?

Any advice guys/girls??

We have booked some annual leave in the summer and this winter and are planning to get over to the area and check it out (schools, property etc....)

For those who asked, my husband and I and the kids are British Citizens and my husband is also a citizen of Portugal.

More news!!! My mum has always loved France (she is the main reason we went every summer holiday as kids and her French is far better than mine!!!) and she has said that if we move then she would like to come with us so that is fantastic news and she is prepared to chip in when it comes to property too. The Gite idea still holds much appeal as with my mum with us, we could look at getting somewhere with a few gites/outbuildings, mum can have her own accomodation and we could still have 1 or 2 gites to let out!!!

Do any of you have kids who moved with you around the same age as mine (now 4 and 8)....How did they cope??? My daughter is the 8 year old and she still loves the idea of going and is very laid back about the whole idea!!! -she is very outgoing and likes meeting people (like her mum!!!) and also dreams of the day when we have a little land and look out to the countryside and our horses!!! instead of the grey rain and our sour faced next door neighbours!!!

Bare with me guys!!! Im working full tiem and still volunteering with my local Ambulance Service so that with the kids I just about have time to keep updates with any help you can give me!!!

I look forward to hearing from any of you................Thank you in advance!:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi - I presume you meant to say bear with me guys .....

I see you haven't had any replies to your post so I thought I would chip in - you are not being ignored. But a lot of internet research re location and houses will help guide you for your summer visit.

Lots of info in other threads re location, education, language, jobs, integration etc - happy reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gite business

Ok! The kids have just started their French lessons! 1 hour on a Saturday & x2 a week at school! We are tidying up our house and re painting in order to put it on the market in the early part of next year! A 3 week summer trip is planned for next year too but I'm thinking of a few "scouting"! Trips before then! Do any of you have advice on whether what we want to do is "do-able!!" either Brittany, Normandy area or Bordeaux/Midi Pyrenees. Where is best? We are hoping to be mortgage free but will only clear approx £160k from the sale of our house. My husband should bring home approx £1300 per month by working Fri, Sat & Sun in the UK.
Could we survive on that and any income from running 1 or 2 gites in France? The idea would also be to have some outbuildings & land so that once we are settled and my French has improved I could use my live & knowledge of animals to have a kennel/cattery business too for another income? Does anyone know of any courses that could be done to help me in that???
Any help/advice!!! -good & bad! Would be great! Thank you!

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
At the current exchange rates, GBP 1300 is only a little bit above the French minimum wage (SMIC) of 1365€ a month. Running a gite is not exactly a reliable source of income, especially at the start when you're trying to build up a clientele.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the current exchange rates, GBP 1300 is only a little bit above the French minimum wage (SMIC) of 1365€ a month. Running a gite is not exactly a reliable source of income, especially at the start when you're trying to build up a clientele.
Cheers,
Bev
Hi Bev!
Do u think u could live ok on that if we are mortgage free? I could look for a job to supplement any income from the gite?? Love to do Ambulance work if there was any but obviously would have to get my French up to scratch!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.