Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
[QUOTE=travelinhobo;7072586]Don't treadmills go forward? He was hit on the back of the head.

Silicon Valley's Dave Goldberg died from gym head injury - BBC News[/QUOTE]

I used to use treadmills every day whe working in Downtown Oakland at the
Oakland Athtletic Club - best kind of club imaginable back in the 1980s. Great machines, a large swimming pool and a great bar where one could get looped after working out. Here is a fact about threadmills. One is moving in a stationary fashion with some determination. with a forward motion and if one is to collapse on one of these machines it is not a forward collapse over the formidable handlebars and machinery in front of one but a fall backwards down the incline that could easily cause a fatal head injury. A forward fall is unlikely to impossibe. I usd to spend a couple hours a day at the Oakland Athletic Club working out in the pool, on the treadmills, with the wieghts and in the bar. s was typical in those days, my secretary and asistant manager covered for me while I f*cked off. A great time in the Bay Area. Today people work much harder burt we still produce the same number of zithers I´m retired and they can kiss my grits.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yep, seen it happen, and was not funny. :(

·
Registered
727 Posts
To supplement Hound Dog's comment on treadmills, if you do anything wrong on one, you get thrown backwards off the back of it.
Perhaps treadmills are the true danger, not robots after all:

Dave Goldberg’s death points to rise and risks of treadmills in era of smartphones - The Washington Post

"But his freakish accident actually isn’t that rare. Every year, tens of thousands of Americans are injured on treadmills. Thousands are taken to the emergency room. A handful die."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts