Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I submitted various documents of birth, marriage and my fathers birth certificate. My docs arrived July 18th 2018 mailed from Washington State.

Yesterday I get a document from the Cour D'appel De Paris, by way of the consulat generale in LA. They responded the 20th of July, and it is dated as such, but stamped at the top is August 15th 2018. Was it sitting in LA since then? It is finally mailed to me at the end of September.

It only says they've received my request. They've yet to inspect my documents. And that the examination of a file will take 36 months.

Impressive bureaucracy.

·
Administrator
49,424 Posts
You underestimate the effect of the summer holiday season on French bureaucracy. Virtually nothing happens during the months of July and August.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I submitted various documents of birth, marriage and my fathers birth certificate. My docs arrived July 18th 2018 mailed from Washington State.

Yesterday I get a document from the Cour D'appel De Paris, by way of the consulat generale in LA. They responded the 20th of July, and it is dated as such, but stamped at the top is August 15th 2018. Was it sitting in LA since then? It is finally mailed to me at the end of September.

It only says they've received my request. They've yet to inspect my documents. And that the examination of a file will take 36 months.

Impressive bureaucracy.
Well, you did get a formal acknowledgement and advice of how long it may take for them to process your application. Impressive bureaucracy starts with resources which are determined by priorities, so clearly the French government has other priorities. (These applications are handled in France by the justice system, and the justice system is in crisis regarding resourcing. Even the EU has severely criticised France for the relatively paltry amount it allocates to the system - prisons excluded.)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
and progress (if one can call it that) is extremely slow for the rest of the year.
Not for everything, though. Some things progress very quickly. The OP's application, however, relates to nationality and I assume he is not currently stateless.

·
Administrator
49,424 Posts
and progress (if one can call it that) is extremely slow for the rest of the year.
I'm not complaining at the moment. After having my handbag stolen, I had replaced all my documents within 4 weeks and most of the transactions were handled online once I got the police report from the gendarmerie. The only reason everything wasn't done in 3 weeks is that I had to wait until my replacement credit card arrived (and the PIN two days later) before I could process the requests for driver's license, carte grise and my carte d'identité.

Something is moving in the right direction.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts