Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You need to have lived in UK for 3 years to apply for naturalisation if married to or in CP with British citizen. In this case you can apply as soon as you get your ILR and have lived 3 years.
If you aren't so married or in CP, residence period lengthens to 5 years and in addition you need to have been on ILR for a year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to have lived in UK for 3 years to apply for naturalisation if married to or in CP with British citizen. In this case you can apply as soon as you get your ILR and have lived 3 years.
If you aren't so married or in CP, residence period lengthens to 5 years and in addition you need to have been on ILR for a year.
I am married to a british citizen and I am applying under set m soon. I have lived here for nearly 5 yrs now. Does this mean that if and when my ILR set m gets approved, I can apply for naturalization? Thanks.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, you should be able to. If you have lengthy absences from UK, that can affect your naturalisation. As you have a UK spouse, it's the last three years leading up to the date of application that will be under scrutiny - no more than 270 days in all and no more than 90 days in the final 12 months, and of course you need to have been in UK legally.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Joppa. I have been out of UK for total of 50 days since 2008 to date so I think I should be ok. The plan is to apply for naturalization straight away once ILR set m is approved. Also, does this mean that I will need to have an ESOL qualification by the time I wish to apply for citizenship? I imagine by the time I get a decision for my ILR the requirements would have changed. I only have the life in the UK test at hand.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, if either application is made on or after 28th October, you need English language test pass at B1 (intermediate) or better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, if either application is made on or after 28th October, you need English language test pass at B1 (intermediate) or better.
That's what I thought. Any idea if my college diploma showing that I graduated BA mass communications degree in the philippines may be accredited by UKNARIC and be used as my qualification? Instead og taking ESOL? Thanks again.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Do you have a degree certificate, in English (not translated from Tagalog) stating your degree details?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
It isn't clear if the degree was taught entirely in English or not. You should get a written confirmation from the university and attach to your application form.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It isn't clear if the degree was taught entirely in English or not. You should get a written confirmation from the university and attach to your application form.
That might be a bit tricky as I graduated 2002. Quite awhile back now. Is that the only option I got here Joppa. Do you think I should consult UKNARIC at all? And if they do certify it, can I use this instead of ESOL?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
NARIC only assesses equivalency. It doesn't tell you whether your degree was taught in English. Was it, or was it a mixture of Tagalog and English?
Surely it isn't difficult or expensive to take and pass a test at B1? I did online practice and got C2!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NARIC only assesses equivalency. It doesn't tell you whether your degree was taught in English. Was it, or was it a mixture of Tagalog and English?
Surely it isn't difficult or expensive to take and pass a test at B1? I did online practice and got C2!
Yes it was a mixture of tagalog and english. I dont think itl be difficult to take the test. Just exploring options...especially when I know I have a diploma that may be accepted after all. Thanks again Joppa.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I think your degree won't be accepted as it was taught in both languages. The rule states it must be taught entirely in English, like degree courses in UK.
Getting a B1 pass is probably easier and cheaper option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think your degree won't be accepted as it was taught in both languages. The rule states it must be taught entirely in English, like degree courses in UK.
Getting a B1 pass is probably easier and cheaper option.
Yep, I think you are right. Do I have to be enrolled in a course or just take the exam? Sorry Joppa.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
NVQ is no good. Degree or above taught in English.
You can just take the test and pass. Shop around as fees differ widely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.