Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will be eligible to apply for ILR in May 2018 after 5 years on the spousal visa route.

My husband has been asked to take a six month contract in Canada (he is a dual Canadian/UK citizen).

I can't seem to find any definitive information on continuous residency requirements for ILR. I have read that you can't be absent for more than 270 days total over the five years on the spouse visa and not absent more than 3 months at any one time.

I have also read that you can't be absent from the UK for more than 180 days in the year before you become eligible to apply for the ILR (i.e. in my case from May 2017 - May 2018, not the calendar year).

I have already been out of the country for 4 weeks at the end of May plus a week in August. I don't want to got over for 6 months to find out I won't be able to apply for ILR...

Does anyone have any information or know where I can find it?

Thanks..

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You are confusing naturalisation with settlement requirements.
There is no hard-and-fast rule for ILR, except that your absence from UK must be in accordance with the purpose of living permanently together in UK. Any holidays within the usual holiday allowance, such as 5 weeks in a year are fine. Any absence that amounts to more than half the time allowed may raise doubt about your intentions, and can affect your settlement. Usually they take a more lenient view if absence is job-related, either your or your partner's, and if you both move aboard together. So keep relevant evidence such as letter from employer, plane tickets (e-ticket receipts), rental agreement abroad etc and about your permanent home in UK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.