Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I will qualify for ILR on August 2018. My spouse and I have been living apart for more than 1 year now because his job keeps sending him away to different places temporarily (and I cannot join him as I also have a job where we normally live). It is likely that we will still be living apart by the time I apply for my ILR in August 2018.

I am aware that this is acceptable as long as you explain it to the caseworker. I have also read similar cases here where partners successfully apply for ILR despite living apart because of their employments.

My question is: could someone point me to the EXACT home office document/guidance notes/appendix where this is stated? I would like to quote it in my letter.

Your help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
You don't need to explain or even mention anything. Just supply documentary evidence of cohabitation such as joint bills and documents. The fact that your partner is abroad temporarily on business is of no concern, provided you both have your permanent home in UK. It would be different if you are abroad a lot, as any combined stay longer than 50% of your time allowed may question whether you meet the residential requirement.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
It would be different if you are abroad a lot, as any combined stay longer than 50% of your time allowed may question whether you meet the residential requirement.

The OP says that they have been living apart for more than a year and will still be living apart in August 2018 .......

I would say that one of the couple being abroad for over a year and living apart brings into question the residential requirement.

Not many couples would live apart for over a year because of employment ....

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
But surely they are still meeting up occasionally for holidays etc, with their permanent home in UK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.