Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is applying for ILR after her 2 year spouse visa and looking through the application we found out that they are asking us if receiving public funds and working tax credit is included in the options. We are receiving working tax credits that end on april but my wife has to send the ILR application on March. Does it affect application as original form did not have tax credit box as list of benifits not to claim.The new form does. Is there anyone out there that can help? :confused: Thanks

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
My wife is applying for ILR after her 2 year spouse visa and looking through the application we found out that they are asking us if receiving public funds and working tax credit is included in the options. We are receiving working tax credits that end on april but my wife has to send the ILR application on March. Does it affect application as original form did not have tax credit box as list of benifits not to claim.The new form does. Is there anyone out there that can help? :confused: Thanks
If you are receing WTC (and CTC), then you have to declare. While the applicant (your wife) is ineligible in her own right to apply for tax credits, you as a settled person can, so you aren't doing anything wrong or illegal in claiming. All it means is any benefits and tax credits received, except those you have contributed yourself like contribution-based jobseekers allowance and retirement pension, will be disregarded in working out your financial resources to support the applicant, and any awards received have been worked out based on your wife's ineligibility (if you have told the tax credit people about it) - i.e. they reflect payment to a single person, not to a couple. For example, if your wife were a settled person like you, you might have received £100 a week, but you only got £50 as a single claimant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are receing WTC (and CTC), then you have to declare. While the applicant (your wife) is ineligible in her own right to apply for tax credits, you as a settled person can, so you aren't doing anything wrong or illegal in claiming. All it means is any benefits and tax credits received, except those you have contributed yourself like contribution-based jobseekers allowance and retirement pension, will be disregarded in working out your financial resources to support the applicant, and any awards received have been worked out based on your wife's ineligibility (if you have told the tax credit people about it) - i.e. they reflect payment to a single person, not to a couple. For example, if your wife were a settled person like you, you might have received £100 a week, but you only got £50 as a single claimant.

Very helpful thanks for your help Joppa :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.