Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the UK on a Tier 2 visa for 5 years now, and am preparing to apply for permanent leave to remain. I also have a wife and 2 daughters with me as dependents. My oldest daughter was 17 when we moved, and is now 22. She just finished University and is now applying for medical school here. Here's my question:
I had thought that we would all be "processed" under my application since I'm the primary visa holder -- but reading the fine print I now see that my 22 year old daughter needs to submit a separate application. Does this mean she would also have to meet the income requirements on her own (which I think for me are £35K)? That would be a disaster if so!
More generally, is our situation going to be complex enough that we'll need to find an immigration lawyer?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I think your daughter can apply under either SET(O) or SET(F). There are certain conditions attached, such as she hasn't formed an independent life (e.g. by marrying), still lives with you (except when she is away at uni), not in full-time work (except holiday job) and still dependent on you financially and has passed Life in the UK test and meets the English requirement (her degree will cover it).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick and hopeful response. Yes, those conditions do apply. So the point is that she can still be granted ILA as my DEPENDENT, even though she's now 'adult' over 18. As long as that's true we should be good.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, as she had been here as your dependent before turning 18, but take professional advice first, as application can be complicated, e.g. evidencing her dependent status.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.