Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My FLR (M) is nearly finished and I am working on my ILR application now. I have questions about my child who applied with me on the entry clearance and alonh the way through FLR (M). The problem is she is over 18 now. We applied after the 9th July 2012. Does she needs to pass english test and LIUK test?
She is having a gap year at the mo, how do I prove she is my dependant? Anybody has any experience? Thank you

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll bump this if I may, as I am in a similar situation and would be most interested in the answer.

I.e. someone first admitted as a dependent child (her mother was admitted under a spouse visa), the child subsequently turns 18. At ILR stage, does she still apply for ILR as a dependent child, or as she is then over 18, does she have to pass the Life in the UK and English B1 tests and apply as an adult separately from her parent?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello ILR2018,

We are currently in the FLR(M) period. So I am just starting my research on the ILR procedure. (My wife is the applicant and her daughter the dependent child).

I'll bump this if I may, as I am in a similar situation and would be most interested in the answer.

I.e. someone first admitted as a dependent child (her mother was admitted under a spouse visa), the child subsequently turns 18. At ILR stage, does she still apply for ILR as a dependent child, or as she is then over 18, does she have to pass the Life in the UK and English B1 tests and apply as an adult separately from her parent?
I have had a look on the UK Gov website, at the ILR application forms and related guidance notes. Form SET(M) seems to be the appropriate for my wife. However, as far as children who were originally admitted as a dependent child when under 18, but who are now over 18, it's all rather confusing. The Guidance Notes seems to say that Form SET(M) can be used (if they were under 18 when admitted). However within the SET(M) application form itself it says that over 18's must apply individually.

Also, everywhere I look says that applicants aged 18 - 64 must have passed the English B1 and Life in the UK tests at ILR stage, so I can only assume the "dependent daughter" will have to do those.

In our case the situation will be further complicated by the fact that the dependent child was admitted to the UK 11 months after her mother, albeit with the same visa expiry dates (as her mother), so she will not have lived in the UK for the full 5 years, when her mother reaches the 5 year point!

Can anyone help further on these points please?

·
Registered
39,247 Posts
You need to check the latest rules on this, but AFAIK, the child doesn't have to be resident for 5 years if both parents are settled or they are applying for settlement at the same time.
Children who have turned 18, who originally entered as dependants, can apply together, provided the child hasn't formed an independent family unit (e.g. married) or leading an independent life (e.g. working full-time and having a place of their own). They need first have to pass Life in the UK test and meet the English requirement.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You need to check the latest rules on this, but AFAIK, the child doesn't have to be resident for 5 years if both parents are settled or they are applying for settlement at the same time.
Children who have turned 18, who originally entered as dependants, can apply together, provided the child hasn't formed an independent family unit (e.g. married) or leading an independent life (e.g. working full-time and having a place of their own). They need first have to pass Life in the UK test and meet the English requirement.
Thank you for input on this, Joppa. That sounds reassuring.

After studying forms SET(M) and SET(F) I am not quite sure which form would be appropriate to use for the over 18 year old dependent child. We do however have a bit more time yet, so I will keep a watch on the forms and their guidance notes for possible amendments/clarification.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello everyone. My FLR (M) is nearly finished and I am working on my ILR application now. I have questions about my child who applied with me on the entry clearance and alonh the way through FLR (M). The problem is she is over 18 now. We applied after the 9th July 2012. Does she needs to pass english test and LIUK test?
She is having a gap year at the mo, how do I prove she is my dependant? Anybody has any experience? Thank you
Joppa's post should answer your first question, though I'm not sure of the answer to the last part.

In our case I transfer funds into a "housekeeping" account, from which my spouse pays for all the general shopping for the three of us. Additionally, some of our utility bills are in joint names of myself (sponsor) and spouse and are paid from a joint bank account. I would propose to submit correspondence from the dependent daughter's college, NHS, bank account and similar correspondence, as evidence that she actually lives with us. Beyond that I don't see how I can specifically show that I am supporting daughter. (Unless perhaps I transfer money to daughter's bank account from which she buys her own groceries. I am being flippant there!!).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Joppa

when you say "Children who have turned 18, who originally entered as dependants, can apply together" do you mean my wife and step daughter can apply on same SET(M) form; or make the same premium PEO appointment; or both?

Really finding this a difficult one to get my head around. So far all three forms ('M' 'O' and 'F') have been receommended :-0

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i arrived in the uk when I was 14 however by the time my mum and I will apply for an ILR , I wouldve turned 18 , does that mean I'll have to apply separately or can I just apply with her as when I moved to the UK i was still her dependent?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, i arrived in the uk when I was 14 however by the time my mum and I will apply for an ILR , I wouldve turned 18 , does that mean I'll have to apply separately or can I just apply with her as when I moved to the UK i was still her dependent?
I'm hoping somebody can help with this too. I've had several threads on several forums and have received a range of contradictory advice- its Set(F) and is competely separate to my wife; or it is separate Set(M) form but try to book PEO as close together as posssible and stepdaughter/ wife will be seen together; or its same SET (M) form as wife....:confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re the preceding posts, can anyone help on which form to use (for the child who entered as a dependent when under 18 but at ILR stage is now over 18)? Noted the Mother will be using a SET (M) as she is my spouse.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi see my previous post from July 2018 after our appointment.

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/b...dependant-child-new-post.html#/topics/1453922

Make sure to check that the discrepancy between the form and the guidance note still exists/ has not been amended.

If it hasnt been changed then you treat them as a dependent = one form Set (M) for spouse with child on it as if under 18 dependent; and one joint appointment for them both (but 2 fees obviously)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi see my previous post from July 2018 after our appointment.

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/b...dependant-child-new-post.html#/topics/1453922

Make sure to check that the discrepancy between the form and the guidance note still exists/ has not been amended.

If it hasnt been changed then you treat them as a dependent = one form Set (M) for spouse with child on it as if under 18 dependent; and one joint appointment for them both (but 2 fees obviously)
Thankyou very much RobsterinSheff.

The link seems to bring me to this thread each time I try it.

If I understand you correctly, we use just one form the SET(M) and include both my wife and dependent daughter (now over 18 yrs) on that one form, (not 2 separate SET(M) forms?? Noted that 2 fees will be due. The daughter was originally admitted as a dependent, but will be 21 years old at SET (i.e. after 5 years in UK)

·
Registered
81 Posts
You need to confirm that the discrepancy between the form and guidance still exists. Or perhaps they have changed the form now to be consistent with the guidance in that it says O18 dependants can apply.

You need to pass the criteria for her being dependant upon you (living at home; not working other than ‘Saturday job’ scenario.

She needs to pass the language and LITUK tests.

Maybe this Google link will take you to my original thread- certainly the cached version should.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=O...form&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

·
Registered
252 Posts
You need to confirm that the discrepancy between the form and guidance still exists. Or perhaps they have changed the form now to be consistent with the guidance in that it says O18 dependants can apply.

You need to pass the criteria for her being dependant upon you (living at home; not working other than ‘Saturday job’ scenario.

She needs to pass the language and LITUK tests.

Maybe this Google link will take you to my original thread- certainly the cached version should.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=O...form&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
Thanks for that RobsterinSheff. I found your other post and note your comments/experience. I understand that a new online only form was introduced in Oct 2018, so that may prevent step-daughter being included on mother's (my spouse's) form.

We have another 1 year to go before they get to SET, so I will keep my eyes and ears open, as things are constantly changing. My dependent step-daughter will be 22 years of age by the time we get there! She meets all the requirements otherwise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.