Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I was previously approved a fiancée visa prior to the July 2012 changes and currently have further leave to remain. Am now looking at preparing for the next stage well in advance...ILR.

I've been looking at the SET(M) form and am wondering if the good people of the forum can advise me with some of the questions/requirements at all? We will probably be sending the application by post.

Passport: the copy of my husband’s passport”-Does this copy need to be notarised or is just a plain photocopy ok?

Finances: I applied for fiancee visa and was approved before the July 2012 changes. What is the maintenance/financial requirement? Is it circa 18 000 a year or something else?

My husband is also likely to be self employed by the time of application but I hear you need to have lots of documentation for this if you use this income as financial requirement which seems a hassle. To make it simple, can I use just my employee income? ie can the financial requirement just be met by me even though I am the applicant (and my sponsor is actually also earning)? - Is this viewed negatively?

Support Letters: There is no mention of letters or photos in the SET (M) form- Does the SET (M) application additionally need to have letters from sponsor and applicant (+ photos from the 2 years between FLR and ILR)?

Evidence of cohabitation- it says you have to give an explanation if the documents are not addressed to both of you- apart from stating the obvious ie personal individual bank accounts and hassle of changing account names with providers what is an “acceptable” explanation?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Hi there

I was previously approved a fiancée visa prior to the July 2012 changes and currently have further leave to remain. Am now looking at preparing for the next stage well in advance...ILR.

I've been looking at the SET(M) form and am wondering if the good people of the forum can advise me with some of the questions/requirements at all? We will probably be sending the application by post.

Passport: the copy of my husband’s passport”-Does this copy need to be notarised or is just a plain photocopy ok?
Plain photocopy of bio pages, but if you are doing a same-day premium service, just ask your husband to bring his passport with him.

Finances: I applied for fiancee visa and was approved before the July 2012 changes. What is the maintenance/financial requirement? Is it circa 18 000 a year or something else?

My husband is also likely to be self employed by the time of application but I hear you need to have lots of documentation for this if you use this income as financial requirement which seems a hassle. To make it simple, can I use just my employee income? ie can the financial requirement just be met by me even though I am the applicant (and my sponsor is actually also earning)? - Is this viewed negatively?
Ignore financial requirement as it won't apply to you. You just need to meet the maintenance requirement, which states that the combined income minus housing cost and council tax must leave you with at least £112.55 a week (or whatever the level for income support is next year).

Support Letters: There is no mention of letters or photos in the SET (M) form- Does the SET (M) application additionally need to have letters from sponsor and applicant (+ photos from the 2 years between FLR and ILR)?
You can attach simple letters, but probably unnecessary for in-person application.

Evidence of cohabitation- it says you have to give an explanation if the documents are not addressed to both of you- apart from stating the obvious ie personal individual bank accounts and hassle of changing account names with providers what is an “acceptable” explanation?
Yes, this is something they will check. Just bring sufficient evidence of official letters bearing the same address, joint bills and accounts if you have them. Addresses on pay slips and tax returns/statements can be further evidence.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick reply and information Joppa! Can I just clarify a few things?

Ignore financial requirement as it won't apply to you. You just need to meet the maintenance requirement, which states that the combined income minus housing cost and council tax must leave you with at least £112.55 a week (or whatever the level for income support is next year).
- So to clarify, we submit bank statements that relate to my husbands self employed income and my employee payslips with the corresponding bank statements, without having to do and submit accounts for his self employment?

- as it's a maintenance rather than a finance requirement we need to meet, do we still complete section 8 "home and finances" section (2 pages) on the SET(M) form or is there a separate maintenance section instead that I haven't seen?

- it says on the application form to send 3 months of bank statements to show finances but I think I read somewhere it is 6 months? What do you think?

You can attach simple letters, but probably unnecessary for in-person application.
- We will most likely be sending a postal application, are letters still required and what kind of content should it cover?

- Are photos needed for the intervening 2 years? (we are not photo people!)

I also tried to find information about processing times for the postal application on the UKBA site- do you have a link for this? What is a general guideline for processing times?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
I haven't looked at SET(M) form closely recently, but I believe the financial questions relate to maintenance requirement, as those subject to the new financial requirement won't be eligible for settlement for some time yet, not till 2017. So yes, you complete those sections but the onus is on you to meet the maintenance requirement of having £112.55 left each week after housing and council tax, more if you have children.

Letters of introduction and sponsorship will be helpful for postal application, just an update on what you wrote last time.
A few photos may also be useful but don't go overboard.
No postal processing time is disclosed, but recent examples suggest about 1-2 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.