Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have applied in a few different forums

I need some help.

My ancestry visa began 25/03/08
entered uk 16/05/08

visa expires on 25/03/14

Am i eligable for ILR, I have just passed life in the uk test.

Also whats the next step after ILR and are there more forms and payments to be made or is it just swearing in and the passport bit..

All this visa stuff is so confusing ????

thanks for any help in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Hi guys I have applied in a few different forums

I need some help.

My ancestry visa began 25/03/08
entered uk 16/05/08

visa expires on 25/03/14

Am i eligable for ILR, I have just passed life in the uk test.

Also whats the next step after ILR and are there more forms and payments to be made or is it just swearing in and the passport bit..

All this visa stuff is so confusing ????

thanks for any help in advance :)
Your dates don't make sense. Ancestry visas are issued for 5 years. Your dates suggest it was issued for 6 years.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
I don't know the specific qualifications for those on ancestry visas so read here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...rking/outside-pbs/uk-ancestry.pdf?view=Binary

You can apply for ILR no sooner than 28 days before your 5 year anniversary of arriving in the UK. If my math is right, that means the earliest you could apply would be 19 April 2014 which is several weeks after your visa expires. I think your only option is to extend your ancestry visa and once you have met the residency requirement and whatever other requirements ancestry visa holder must meet--I think there is a requirement that you have UK employment for 5 years for example--then you can apply.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
The period between entry clearance being issued and the applicant entering the UK may be counted toward the qualifying period, as long as it does not exceed 90 days. This can occur if the applicant is delayed travelling to the UK. Provided the period of delay does not exceed 90 days, it will not be counted as an absence.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...us/ilr-calculating-continuous.pdf?view=Binary page 21

This rule is crucial to your application for ILR, as you can apply just before your visa expires next March. You delayed your UK entry by 52 days, which is less than the 90 days allowed, so there is no need to seek extension of your current leave first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much joppa

THats very helpful information.

Also need to ask my first year in the uk i was studying. I have my qualifications to prove it. will this be a problem as I wasnt working????

Also do you only need a letter from your latest employer or do you need a letter from previous employers? Do you have to prove u were working the whole time with documents etc or do they log into ur account to check such details ???

thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Read page 16-17 of the document cited by nyclon above. While you are allowed to study on ancestry visa, in order to get settlement you need to stay in work or be looking for work throughout the 5 years. So you may only have fulfilled 4 of the 5 years needed for ILR, in which case you may need to extend your current leave for a year before going for ILR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read through those documents. i was studying hairdressing. we still did clients everyday and it was in a salon enviroment as if i was working for real. I just wasnt paid for it.

Just come across something else that makes me think that i dont qualify.

in 2011 i worked in america on a summer camp, it was all done through a uk company. does that count. even if it was for a good cause. I worked with disabled kids and adults.

has this broken my 'continually working and living'

is there anyway to put it down to travelling ???

stressing out now!!!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I don't think you have any problems with US summer camp - just an extended holiday.
I'm not 100% sure you are ineligible for ILR because of your studies, but I can't be sure you are eligible. You can try applying putting forward all available evidence about your vocational studies and unpaid work. They want to know how you funded your studies without recourse to public funds. The only snag is if they turn you down, you lose all your fees and have to re-apply and pay again for an extension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My family paid for me while i was studying. i also did work experience with the salon. do i need a letter from them stating all of this and do i need proof saying my family supported me.

also must i get letters from the camp to say i was working on summer camp or fill it in as an extended holiday???

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just put the US trip as vacation.
You can try getting letter from salon and explaining how you were financed during your studies, but as I've said, I'm not sure if you qualify for ILR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joppa one mor question regarding working on summer camp in america. when filling in form SET O on the part where you fill in your absences and reason of absence . For america should I write Exted holiday or worked on summer camps through camp america. if i put holiday and they look and see that my visa was a j1 usa working visa. And do I need to get proof from the company that hired me to work in america to prove that it was a summer camp.

Or all in all am I reading more into it

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You can declare it as summer camp job. It won't matter as it's covered under temporary absence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.