Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends and "The Rascal"

Iggles has got him self into another problem :)

I've booked my holiday to Seychelles in August, flights and hotel etc (Amazing, I allow you to be jelly). The problem is the hotel. I booked online (Directly on their website) in June with a 5 star hotel (Clearly I have to much money) I got the confirmation, and then i decided to extend my stay (you know iggles like sun, russians and vodka) I emailed the legitimate email address of said hotel to extend the dates, I got a reply saying no problem. The thing is, the reply was from a gmail account, and not the official. Iggles noticed, but played along...because the official hotel account was forwarding to the gmail. (don't sound right does it) The address looked like this, [email protected] forward to [email protected]. This was in May/June

Now comes July 2nd, I had noticed that no money has left my account (i get texts to my mobile of any out going transactions) Last week I got an email from the gmail account saying the transaction hasn't worked, and for me to send the money directly as a bank transfer. Iggles isnt born yesterday I replied saying I am not comfortable with that, and that the details I gave was correct & there is money in the bank. I also questioned why I was getting emails from a Gmail account and not the official hotel account. Then silence since 2nd of July

I've left the name of the hotel out on purpose here, but does this sound dodgy to anyone else? My alarm bells are ringing.

Further on from this, at the beginning the official accounts were copied in, then the replies were forwarded from official to gmail (with no other people copied in)

What should I do, What should you do? What would evil side of you do? It's a 5 star hotel and it looks like an employee is trying to fraud me :O

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Stop being a keyboard warrior and call them.

I'd have that was obvious even to an iggles with a small brain (with apologies to A.A.Milne and his son'r bear).

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stop being a keyboard warrior and call them.

I'd have that was obvious even to an iggles with a small brain (with apologies to A.A.Milne and his son'r bear).
I will do later, when i get home. But it obvious I was being defrauded by an employee of the hotel. So i needed all the records/information. I even said to my partner, i'll get an email saying that the payment failed.

So what would you do, in my situation? I could be polite, i could go police, I could kick up a fuss...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Some hotels although have domain names don't always have a mail exchange/hosted mail so will use E-Mail. This is the same for some small businesses etc. I have seen this many a time and never had any problems with it.

Call them and confirm it, no point in asking us if it is dodgy or not as I would just pay it and be done with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts