Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently resigned form my job, primarily for the benefit of my health.

I had an indefinido contract, which was for 10 hours per week.

My question is, as I have resigned, do I waive all rights to any back pay, ie; unpaid sick pay, holiday pay, etc?

Also, I have a paper to sign, the last sentence of which is;

"Ruego me liquiden las cantidades que legalmente me sean debidas."

My Spanish isn't too bad, but I have no idea what this means in this context.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

My attempt:

I ask (literally "beg") that they pay (liquidate) any money I am legally owed.

I'm not sure about the other questions. I imagine you'd get any outstanding holiday pay, but I can't see why they'd pay you sick pay unless you'd been ill and they hadn't yet paid you what they should have for that period.

If you have resigned for health reasons it might be worth talking to an expert on the matter (although it may be too late now) since it could have affected any unemployment benefits you're entitled to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

My attempt:

I ask (literally "beg") that they pay (liquidate) any money I am legally owed.

I'm not sure about the other questions. I imagine you'd get any outstanding holiday pay, but I can't see why they'd pay you sick pay unless you'd been ill and they hadn't yet paid you what they should have for that period.

If you have resigned for health reasons it might be worth talking to an expert on the matter (although it may be too late now) since it could have affected any unemployment benefits you're entitled to.
Thank you, Chopera,

I have never been paid holiday pay and I am still owed sick pay from when I was off for six weeks with a ruptured disc (the only time I ever took sick leave in eight years). That was four years ago and I have given up all hope of getting the money!

Regarding my reason for resigning, I suffer with asthma and I worked in a kitchen. Every year in the summer, it got a little harder - the air is so hot and it can get quite difficult to breathe. Of course, the asthma was not caused by my job and I am not blaming my ex-employer for that!

I just wondered what the position is regarding back pay. If I may be entitled to something, I don't want to sign it all away by putting my signature on a piece of paper without knowing.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it.

Regards,

Sherrie

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently resigned form my job, primarily for the benefit of my health.

I had an indefinido contract, which was for 10 hours per week.

My question is, as I have resigned, do I waive all rights to any back pay, ie; unpaid sick pay, holiday pay, etc?

Also, I have a paper to sign, the last sentence of which is;

My Spanish isn't too bad, but I have no idea what this means in this context.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
As Chopera says the Spanish sentence is you formally asking to be paid whatever you are owed.
To be clear on this you can go to your local SEPE office (Servicio Público de Empleo Estatal,before INEM). You can find which one is nearest by looking here
Servicio Público de Empleo Estatal - Direcciones y teléfonos
You can even make an appointment here
https://sede.sepe.gob.es/contenidosSede/generico.do?pagina=proce_ciudadanos/cita_previa.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Chopera says the Spanish sentence is you formally asking to be paid whatever you are owed.
To be clear on this you can go to your local SEPE office (Servicio Público de Empleo Estatal,before INEM). You can find which one is nearest by looking here
Servicio Público de Empleo Estatal - Direcciones y teléfonos
You can even make an appointment here
https://sede.sepe.gob.es/contenidosSede/generico.do?pagina=proce_ciudadanos/cita_previa.html
Thank you Pesky Wesky,

I appreciate the help!

A friend has told me that she thinks the sentence means:

I liquidate the quantities that are legally due me

which is the complete opposite of what I thought it meant!

I am totally confused now!

Having already resigned and with my ex-employer pushing
me to return the paper, I need to get this sorted asap -
will need to try and get a clear idea of what this actually
means.

Thanks again :)

·
Administrator
36,526 Posts
Thank you Pesky Wesky,

I appreciate the help!

means.

your friend is wrong

as the others have said, you are asking that they pay you what you are owed

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Thank you Pesky Wesky,

I appreciate the help!

means.

No, it's something like
I ask that any payments that are owed to me be paid.
And if you bung in a hereby and/ a forthwith you'll be well on the way, but you do need to go to the people who are paid to, in theory, know all about this ie SEPE. Go with all relevant paperwork (photo ID, residents certificate, insurance number, name of company , CIF of company if possible, payslips and probably loads of other stuff too), loads of patience, an open mind (ie not thinking that all civil servants are trained in how not to help clients), a good chunk of time and something to do whilst you're waiting. If you get an appointment of course you shouldn't have to wait too long. Hope you get the info you're needing

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your friend is wrong

as the others have said, you are asking that they pay you what you are owed
Thank you xabiachica,

I appreciate your advice!

I have to say, I don't think that's what my ex-employers'
interpretation of it is.

A colleague who resigned before Christmas had to sign
the same piece of paper and they have made no attempt
to pay her what she was owed.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it's something like
I ask that any payments that are owed to me be paid.
And if you bung in a hereby and/ a forthwith you'll be well on the way, but you do need to go to the people who are paid to, in theory, know all about this ie SEPE. Go with all relevant paperwork (photo ID, residents certificate, insurance number, name of company , CIF of company if possible, payslips and probably loads of other stuff too), loads of patience, an open mind (ie not thinking that all civil servants are trained in how not to help clients), a good chunk of time and something to do whilst you're waiting. If you get an appointment of course you shouldn't have to wait too long. Hope you get the info you're needing
Thanks again, Pesky Wesky,

As I've just said to xabiachica, I don't think my employers' interpretation
of that sentence is quite the same! I don't know if it can be interpreted
one of two ways?

Either way, I do appreciate your help. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Incidentally, does anyone know if a letter of resignation has to be signed in the presence of the ex-employer, countersigned by the ex-employer and then witnessed by a third person?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Is/was your employer Spanish? or another foreign national who may not be fully aware of the rights of the employee only what they think are the rights of the employer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is/was your employer Spanish? or another foreign national who may not be fully aware of the rights of the employee only what they think are the rights of the employer?
Hello baldilocks,

No, my ex-employers are not Spanish, they are English, but their Gestoria is Spanish, so one would assume that they are advising them correctly?

They have always tried to avoid paying what they should pay when it comes to holiday pay and sick pay, which is why I'm a little confused as to why they would include the sentence as mentioned before on the paper they want me to sign, ie; I ask that any payments that are owed to me be paid/Ruego me liquiden las cantidades que legalmente me sean debidas.

Of course, it doesn't help that I am woefully ignorant about matters such as this!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hello baldilocks,

No, my ex-employers are not Spanish, they are English, but their Gestoria is Spanish, so one would assume that they are advising them correctly?

They have always tried to avoid paying what they should pay when it comes to holiday pay and sick pay, which is why I'm a little confused as to why they would include the sentence as mentioned before on the paper they want me to sign, ie; I ask that any payments that are owed to me be paid/Ruego me liquiden las cantidades que legalmente me sean debidas.

Of course, it doesn't help that I am woefully ignorant about matters such as this!
Given the earlier confusion on the thread about the correct meaning of the sentence, it is possible that the ex-employers are confused as well or they are just being devious. Some Gestors are good, others not so (the one used by the Academy that SWMBO works for, is hopeless) and you may be well advised to find a good one yourself. It may well be that you were not employed for enough hours to gain any rights under Spanish law, I wouldn't know but a good gestor should!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Make sure he/she is good and she/he is honest. The alternative is an abogado.
Thank you - I'm using someone who's been recommended. When you don't have a Gestor of your own, I think that's all you can do.
Thanks again for all your help - I'm very grateful.

·
Administrator
36,526 Posts
So you prefer to pay a gestor rather than get free advice from SEPE government workers?
Why's that? :)
have to say I wondered that myself

I use a gestor because it saves me having to take time off to go into the next town which is where ALL the various offices are. I don't drive & public transport is rubbish, so it makes sense to me to pay a monthly retainer ( about what I earn an hour) to save me the hassle

but for the OP who doesn't have a gestor on retainer, it makes way more sense to go for the free advice

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you prefer to pay a gestor rather than get free advice from SEPE government workers?
Why's that? :)
I wouldn't prefer to pay to see a Gestor, Pesky Wesky, but I need to get the signed paper back to my ex-employer tomorrow - they have an appointment with their Gestoria at 11am - and I can't get an appointment at an SEPE office before then.

It'll cost me €15 to see a Gestor, which is worth the money if he can advise me and I can find out what I need to know, and he can see me at 9.30am.

I also have an appointment at the SEPE office next week as I'm sure they'll be able to advise me on other matters I'd like to ask them about. Thank you for the details. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wouldn't prefer to pay to see a Gestor, Pesky Wesky, but I need to get the signed paper back to my ex-employer tomorrow - they have an appointment with their Gestoria at 11am - and I can't get an appointment at an SEPE office before then.

It'll cost me €15 to see a Gestor, which is worth the money if he can advise me and I can find out what I need to know, and he can see me at 9.30am.

I also have an appointment at the SEPE office next week as I'm sure they'll be able to advise me on other matters I'd like to ask them about. Thank you for the details. :)
I do hope you come back and tell us what the gestor told you, as the only paper you have to sign to finalise your contract is called "finiquito" which states all the amounts due to you, any deductions you have to pay and which you sign on receiving the money. But the wording you wrote doesn't sound correct to me, it should say you have received it not that you are asking to be paid!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts