Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... my apologies in advance for the length of this post :)

I joined this forum as i hoped people in Sharm El Sheikh may be able to advise/help me as i plan to move temporarily/permanently to Egypt within the next 3 months and set up a small business in the beauty industry (hairdressing to be exact).

I have researched online and understand how i am able to get a visa to work in the country and also how to become a resident but would appreciate some advise on the following areas...... if possible.

1. I would be moving with my 10 year old son so are there schools which take on national students and if so does anyone know the price? if there is no schooling available does anyone know a private tutor who wouldn't be charging an arm and a leg?

2. Does anyone know of any high traffic areas of tourist (i.e. Naama Bay) which would be ideal to set up a hair salon?... but also doesn't charge a large amount for shop rentals!...... i'm considering a typical 9am-6pm or 5pm-12am opening hours .

3. Does anyone know where i could find somewhere cheap to rent in Sharm (ideally near the high traffic areas)... i don't mind sharing a studio/1 bedroom apartment with my son until i can improve my financial position.

4. I wanted to buy an accommodation but unable to as i can't get a mortgage for Egypt (unless i want to buy an over priced accommodation off plan/new build). If you know anyone selling their accommodation VERY cheap please let me know.

I will be going to Egypt by the end of March 2010 to look for all of the above but would have liked some guidance to not waste valuable time as i will be there initially for 7-14 days...... then hoped to return for a much longer period when the above has been found.

I can't stress enough that i am not a rich british person and will be coming over to Egypt on a tight purse string. I believe with the right contacts i will be able to achieve my goal as i have enough money to furnish a salon, staff who are willing to work..... but not the above answered questions to make my goal happen.

Please help if you can and to anyone who can't or who comments, thank you for taking the time out to read my post.

Kind regards
Samantha x :clap2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sam
Welcome to the forum.
I don't live in Sharm but I can tell you that your opening hours will not work in Egypt.
No one goes to the hairdressers at 9am.... but we do like to go at night.

Maiden
That's brilliant information as i would have preferred to open in the late afternoons as that will allow me to work else where and help my son with his education.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi there,

I do not live in Sharm, so I don't think I can help you, at least not with the things that you're asking for help about; but I just got one thing to tell you about the whole thing, DON'T!!!

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,

I do not live in Sharm, so I don't think I can help you, at least not with the things that you're asking for help about; but I just got one thing to tell you about the whole thing, DON'T!!!

Good luck
Thank you for your opinion but please can you expand on your answer?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hello all... my apologies in advance for the length of this post :)

I joined this forum as i hoped people in Sharm El Sheikh may be able to advise/help me as i plan to move temporarily/permanently to Egypt within the next 3 months and set up a small business in the beauty industry (hairdressing to be exact).

I have researched online and understand how i am able to get a visa to work in the country and also how to become a resident but would appreciate some advise on the following areas...... if possible.

1. I would be moving with my 10 year old son so are there schools which take on national students and if so does anyone know the price? if there is no schooling available does anyone know a private tutor who wouldn't be charging an arm and a leg?

2. Does anyone know of any high traffic areas of tourist (i.e. Naama Bay) which would be ideal to set up a hair salon?... but also doesn't charge a large amount for shop rentals!...... i'm considering a typical 9am-6pm or 5pm-12am opening hours .

3. Does anyone know where i could find somewhere cheap to rent in Sharm (ideally near the high traffic areas)... i don't mind sharing a studio/1 bedroom apartment with my son until i can improve my financial position.

4. I wanted to buy an accommodation but unable to as i can't get a mortgage for Egypt (unless i want to buy an over priced accommodation off plan/new build). If you know anyone selling their accommodation VERY cheap please let me know.

I will be going to Egypt by the end of March 2010 to look for all of the above but would have liked some guidance to not waste valuable time as i will be there initially for 7-14 days...... then hoped to return for a much longer period when the above has been found.

I can't stress enough that i am not a rich british person and will be coming over to Egypt on a tight purse string. I believe with the right contacts i will be able to achieve my goal as i have enough money to furnish a salon, staff who are willing to work..... but not the above answered questions to make my goal happen.

Please help if you can and to anyone who can't or who comments, thank you for taking the time out to read my post.

Kind regards
Samantha x :clap2:
Hi Samantha :welcome:

I am from Sharm and I can help :D

Firstly, setting up your own business in Egypt if you do not have an Egyptian business partner with you is VERY costly. I'm not sure how much research you have done or where you have got your information, but to set up a business is not just about obtaining a work visa, it is a much more lengthy procedure, and as I said, if you are planning on doing is alone as a non-Egyptian you will pay the price.

Secondly, hairdressers in Sharm are already many, and the existent ones are already struggling. There is a British run salon in Viva Mall (LB International) which also charges British prices, that seem to have managed to stay open for some time, there are a lot of Italian places with mostly Italian and Russian staff and clients which seem to be doing okay - but the British who have tried to set up here in the past have not done well at all. There was one lady who did freelance, at your home or hers, and I don't think she managed to get much business. There was also a young Irish lass who setup shop in a fab location in the commercial area of a 5* hotel in Nabq Bay, and she did amazing work (well she did my cut and highlights perfectly) but she'd only pull in one or two people per day, and I heard a rumour she's now selling up. I don't want to burst your bubble, but please try to be realistic. If you are coming out on such a tight budget then I really would recommend working in a hotel's beauty centre or for another company first to get a steady income before putting such a huge outlay and losing out ultimately.

Your request for cheap rental within a busy destination unfortunately doesn't exist in Sharm. If it's a busy place you will pay for it, if it's cheap you will have to market yourself very well and be very well known as you will not be in a prominent location. You could also do freelance hairdressing along side any other work to make sure you are taking a salary every month.

Schools in Sharm... yes they exist, and actually as more and more kids are here they seem to be getting much better and I'm hearing better reviews. Having not put a child through education yet I can't speak on a personal basis, but my friend's Mum moved out for sometime with her 13 year old who spent some time in the school, and at that age there is less choice as the teenage population of Sharm is minimal, and by all accounts the teachers had EXTREMELY poor English, no class control, and during Ramadan they mostly didn't even turn up. There is a huge "young" population in Sharm, toddler age - mostly mixed race from the huge number of Egyptian/European relationships. The schools catering for 5-11 year olds seem to be doing fine with a few European staff who are actually qualified. You really should visit the schools whilst you are here.

As far as buying a property goes, I would have to ask why you are coming to Egypt. It is VERY hard here to make it on your own supporting only yourself, supporting a child too, especially with the price of school fees, is almost impossible. If your coming to Egypt depends on these things then definitely don't buy here because it will take some time to sell on again if things don't work out and that is a huge burden.

I'm sorry if that is not the answer you were hoping for, but that is the reality in Sharm. Most people that move here spend less than six months. They love the holiday and buy into a dream that doesn't exist.

Sam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your informatuion sam, it has been very useful.

I will look into setting a business up more and fortunately have egyptian friends that are willing to help (they live in england with many family members still remaining there).

I will also look further into schooling but can educate my son if this is not an option.

I am nervous about this project but believe I am realistic with my expectations and need to find out if I can afford the shop rental/accommdation rate including the other cost of employing staff etc so hope my next visit will be able to answer those questions along with using this forum.

I have also a few contacts that speak many languages including russian and german that can also do hair but it really is the additional cost which I'm trying to calculate.

I really appreciate your information and will rethink all areas which you mentioned to try and reduce as many risk as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello sam

I also forgot to include above.... Are you aware of the reason(s) why those who had a hair salon failed to suceed?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hello sam

I also forgot to include above.... Are you aware of the reason(s) why those who had a hair salon failed to suceed?
Presumably lack of business and costs outweighed the income. There may have been personal reasons I don't know about, but I didn't speak with any of them to know for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi

I have a ten year old boy, I also retrained in the last 2 years with Saks Academies to do hairdressing (don't ask what I did before that!).

I intend to have a try at living in Sharm/Naama Bay initially with my son as my husband does not want to quit his job (yet).

I have been looking at schools mainly with a view to the social aspect for my son as I am going to home school him, there are some good websites for doing this.

I will be very interested to see how you get on please keep me updated?

I believe like everything else if you keep a realistic head on your shoulders and are prepared to work hard you will have nothing to regret, even if the first idea does not work, don't give up.

If you have the balls to do it in the beginning then thats the hardest battle?

If I was out there I would be trying to assist you not knock you for trying (it's hardly like you are going to say 'ah well then I won't bother' based on a few peoples opinions, I relise you need to see both sides but when I read the posts here they seem so negative....believe me I could dissuade someone from coming to the North East but why? Some people absolutely love living here it's individual choice?

I don't know about you but my greatest fear is being on my death bed and looking back saying "why did I not?"

THAT'S JUST MY OPINION BEFORE I GET SHOT DOWN IN FLAMES! LOL

·
Registered
789 Posts
If I was out there I would be trying to assist you not knock you for trying (it's hardly like you are going to say 'ah well then I won't bother' based on a few peoples opinions, I relise you need to see both sides but when I read the posts here they seem so negative....believe me I could dissuade someone from coming to the North East but why? Some people absolutely love living here it's individual choice?

I don't know about you but my greatest fear is being on my death bed and looking back saying "why did I not?"

THAT'S JUST MY OPINION BEFORE I GET SHOT DOWN IN FLAMES! LOL
Hi Biscuit,

Considering that is quite blatantly aimed at me I will reply to you.

I have not made any negative comments, actually the only opinion I have put at all is that I recommend to work for someone else first and understand the market before putting large sums of money to a project. I personally do not see the negativity in that as much as the sensibility - all the other information is FACT.

I have written that the British salon in Viva Mall is still in the market, and by all accounts doing fine. I have at no point said don't do it because you will never succeed, nor would I ever say this, I have just written about the fact that life in NOT cheap out here, at all, and to cover expenses for two on a single salary is so difficult when you work for an already existent and popular company. So to support two and set up a company as well, with all the outlay on that, it takes money in the bank as profits will not appear for a few months.

If you would like to speak to someone who has been there, then there is a girl posting here called Marta (although not seen her around for a while). She entered into a spa business and lost everything, had to return to her country and work many months just to get enough to come back and pay rent. And she only had herself to support.

But hey, if people don't want to hear how businesses are in Sharm then fine, live the dream. I can sugar coat everything, tell you everyone that comes here is blissfully happily and every business a roaring success. The fact that almost every shop in Aquapark has closed, all bar 2 of the 7 (or so) cafes in the front of Aquapark, is apparently irrelevant.

At the end of the day, I have a stable job and stable income and support my family comfortably, it's not my business what other people do, if they succeed or lose everything. I am just the sort of person who would feel really bad to tell someone everything is peachy when it's clearly not and then they have to even borrow the money for a flight home.

Each one may take my information and advice as they wish. Trust me, I can assist very easily in this case. I'm in real estate, I can rent commercial space, rent apartments, sell the aforementioned even. I can profit from this opportunity if I wanted, but you will see I advise not to buy at least until stability in Sharm is secured.

Sam

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
When I read about people wanting to come out here to live/work etc and then read the questions they ask... the I will open my hairdressing salon at 9am... (just using this one as an example sometimes makes me want to shout at the top of my voice... "Don't do it" as it is obvious at least to me that the majority of people do not see past the beach and the sunshine.
Life out here is not easy in fact it is hard unless you have great support and plenty of money.
Living somewhere is so much more different from coming on holiday and that is the big big problem here.... people are seduced by the sun and the pace of life... the pace of life you see on holiday is not the pace you live when you have to work here.

Maiden

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Biscuit,

Considering that is quite blatantly aimed at me I will reply to you.

I have not made any negative comments, actually the only opinion I have put at all is that I recommend to work for someone else first and understand the market before putting large sums of money to a project. I personally do not see the negativity in that as much as the sensibility - all the other information is FACT.

I have written that the British salon in Viva Mall is still in the market, and by all accounts doing fine. I have at no point said don't do it because you will never succeed, nor would I ever say this, I have just written about the fact that life in NOT cheap out here, at all, and to cover expenses for two on a single salary is so difficult when you work for an already existent and popular company. So to support two and set up a company as well, with all the outlay on that, it takes money in the bank as profits will not appear for a few months.

If you would like to speak to someone who has been there, then there is a girl posting here called Marta (although not seen her around for a while). She entered into a spa business and lost everything, had to return to her country and work many months just to get enough to come back and pay rent. And she only had herself to support.

But hey, if people don't want to hear how businesses are in Sharm then fine, live the dream. I can sugar coat everything, tell you everyone that comes here is blissfully happily and every business a roaring success. The fact that almost every shop in Aquapark has closed, all bar 2 of the 7 (or so) cafes in the front of Aquapark, is apparently irrelevant.

At the end of the day, I have a stable job and stable income and support my family comfortably, it's not my business what other people do, if they succeed or lose everything. I am just the sort of person who would feel really bad to tell someone everything is peachy when it's clearly not and then they have to even borrow the money for a flight home.

Each one may take my information and advice as they wish. Trust me, I can assist very easily in this case. I'm in real estate, I can rent commercial space, rent apartments, sell the aforementioned even. I can profit from this opportunity if I wanted, but you will see I advise not to buy at least until stability in Sharm is secured.

Sam

Actually you wern't in my mind at all? As far as I can see you like being there and have been most helpful in a lot of posts? Why did you think it was for you? Strange?

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I read about people wanting to come out here to live/work etc and then read the questions they ask... the I will open my hairdressing salon at 9am... (just using this one as an example sometimes makes me want to shout at the top of my voice... "Don't do it" as it is obvious at least to me that the majority of people do not see past the beach and the sunshine.
Life out here is not easy in fact it is hard unless you have great support and plenty of money.
Living somewhere is so much more different from coming on holiday and that is the big big problem here.... people are seduced by the sun and the pace of life... the pace of life you see on holiday is not the pace you live when you have to work here.

Maiden
Exactly, thats why people ask then those who are more experienced can say "Don't open your salon at 9am" as I could advise about various things here in Newcastle...

I wouldn't contemplate living there if I had to rely on making money to keep me going, however thats me.

It would be great to see somone make a sucess and be part of the support system that helped along the way.

I see a wealth of knowledge among the people on here; positives and pitfalls, I am here to learn hopefully Sam, Maiden and Deadguy can impart their perspective on me? I take it all in...believe me the rose coloured filters are not in the on position :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Thank you for your opinion but please can you expand on your answer?

Hi there,

Sorry about being brief, but I meant what I said, and I think that both Sam and MaidenScotland managed to put it in a perfect simple way, so I will ask you to read what they said again, and to reconsider the whole thing.

But there's something that I'd like to emphasis, spending a holiday in a place is not the same as living there, and it's completely different from making a living there.

And something that I wanna add, relocating is a big move for anyone living anywhere, so if someone's planning to take a step like this? They better make sure that it's a step in the right direction; with all respect to your plans, but do you really think that moving to a third world ARABIAN country is the right thing to do? And don't forget that if you did relocate here you'd be putting your son in here as well.

So my personal advice? Listen to what Sam said, at least spend some time here before you move in.

I'd like to add something, you've mentioned that you "egyptian friends that are willing to help (they live in england with many family members still remaining there) " ???? If it was me? I would NEVER trust an Egyptian saying that he/she's "willing to help" just like that, almost all Egyptians don't "just help" unless they're seeing/looking for a reward! But they're your friends, not mine, so I'd just be sharp and wouldn't trust anyone that easily if it was me!

Best of luck to both your son and yourself with whatever you're gonna decide.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
MaidenScotland:

"just using this one as an example sometimes makes me want to shout at the top of my voice... "Don't do it" ................... " That's exactly what I said in my post :D If you think you got enough reasons to say it? Then just say it!

Or may be you don't do that cause you're a lady? Or cause you're not a rude person?:D

Sam:

"I am just the sort of person who would feel really bad to tell someone everything is peachy when it's clearly not and then they have to even borrow the money for a flight home"

Bet you're having a real hard time with your Egyptian friends if you had any, cause that's what every Egyptian wanna hear, that they're absolutely right and that you're agreeing 110% :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi there,

"egyptian friends that are willing to help (they live in england with many family members still remaining there) " ???? If it was me? I would NEVER trust an Egyptian saying that he/she's "willing to help" just like that, almost all Egyptians don't "just help" unless they're seeing/looking for a reward! But they're your friends, not mine, so I'd just be sharp and wouldn't trust anyone that easily if it was me!

Best of luck to both your son and yourself with whatever you're gonna decide.
Dead Guy you must be the only nice egyptian there is? :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
MaidenScotland:

"just using this one as an example sometimes makes me want to shout at the top of my voice... "Don't do it" ................... " That's exactly what I said in my post :D If you think you got enough reasons to say it? Then just say it!

Or may be you don't do that cause you're a lady? Or cause you're not a rude person?:D

Sam:

"I am just the sort of person who would feel really bad to tell someone everything is peachy when it's clearly not and then they have to even borrow the money for a flight home"

Bet you're having a real hard time with your Egyptian friends if you had any, cause that's what every Egyptian wanna hear, that they're absolutely right and that you're agreeing 110% :D

A balanced arguement is always a good one? It would be stupid to say anything was 100% one way or the other wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
A balanced arguement is always a good one? It would be stupid to say anything was 100% one way or the other wouldn't it?
Yes, it would, but words like "balanced" , "argument" and "equilibrium" and other NORMAL words that usually makes sense for NORMAL people like those words? You can not find those words in the Egyptian dictionary!! Only in physics, chemistry, maths and mechanics books, and I think you know what I mean :D

If you ever had a conversation with ANY Egyptian and happened to hear him/her using ANY of those words?? Please, don't hesitate to let me know :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.