Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering since obviously I'm working and hv a job so if after ITA all is well and I get visa how long do I hv until I activate my visa/work permit?

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
I'm just wondering since obviously I'm working and hv a job so if after ITA all is well and I get visa how long do I hv until I activate my visa/work permit?
If you are awarded a Residency Visa you will have 12 months from the sticker application date in your passport to activate the visa by crossing the border in NZ.
If you already have a job offer, you must start the job as soon as possible after arrival and stay in that job for 3 months before going back to immigration with the proof.
They will then remove the work condition on your visa and means you are then free to change jobs, employers etc

Reactions: EasyBoy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
escapedtonz said:
If you are awarded a Residency Visa you will have 12 months from the sticker application date in your passport to activate the visa by crossing the border in NZ.
If you already have a job offer, you must start the job as soon as possible after arrival and stay in that job for 3 months before going back to immigration with the proof.
They will then remove the work condition on your visa and means you are then free to change jobs, employers etc
Will the Residence Visa allow my children to attend schools there? Since ill be bringing my spouse and kids and they are all on the application.

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Will the Residence Visa allow my children to attend schools there? Since ill be bringing my spouse and kids and they are all on the application.
If the application is successful for Residence then all persons on the application will receive the same visa, so yes you would all be Residents in that case and yes your kids can attend school. Can't promise the school you choose won't ask for parental donations though ? The only problem is if immigration don't award you residency but instead offer you a work to residence visa.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a work for residence means we must seek private schools? Also we wouldn't mind paying parental donations.. Is it a huge amount?

Thnx

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
So a work for residence means we must seek private schools? Also we wouldn't mind paying parental donations.. Is it a huge amount? Thnx
WTR visa means the principal applicant would be allowed to come to NZ and work in the job that has been offered by the accredited employer and also your partner would be issues with a temporary working visa (even if they didn't want to work), but your kids would have to have other visas as obviously they can't work.
They would need Student visas or conditional visitor visas.
If this is the case you would have to pay for their education as they would not be residents.
No idea how much sorry.
I'm led to believe donations of $1000 a year are normal and you also have to pay for school books, uniforms etc etc.

Maybe someone else on the forum can confirm this ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
escapedtonz said:
WTR visa means the principal applicant would be allowed to come to NZ and work in the job that has been offered by the accredited employer and also your partner would be issues with a temporary working visa (even if they didn't want to work), but your kids would have to have other visas as obviously they can't work.
They would need Student visas or conditional visitor visas.
If this is the case you would have to pay for their education as they would not be residents.
No idea how much sorry.
I'm led to believe donations of $1000 a year are normal and you also have to pay for school books, uniforms etc etc.

Maybe someone else on the forum can confirm this ?
Kids in secondary education need student visas?
Under 16 years of age?

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Kids in secondary education need student visas? Under 16 years of age?
If a child is between 5 and 16 years they must be in full time education, therefore should be here on a study visa unless covered on a different type of visa - ie a resident visa.
If not on a Resident visa, kids up to the age of 5 will have to have a conditional visitor visa based on their parents being here on a visa that let's them live and work here temporarily.

Anyone that comes to New Zealand, MUST have a valid visa to be here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
escapedtonz said:
If a child is between 5 and 16 years they must be in full time education, therefore should be here on a study visa unless covered on a different type of visa - ie a resident visa.
If not on a Resident visa, kids up to the age of 5 will have to have a conditional visitor visa based on their parents being here on a visa that let's them live and work here temporarily.

Anyone that comes to New Zealand, MUST have a valid visa to be here.
So wishful thinking for a direct Residence Visa since I'm applying for the SCM. The RVisa just makes the move easier.

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
So wishful thinking for a direct Residence Visa since I'm applying for the SCM. The RVisa just makes the move easier. Thanks :)
If you're applying for Residency and you successfully get through it, you should be awarded the Resident Visas.
Immigration awarding WTR visas instead doesn't happen often but it is a possibility.

Yes we were much of the same mind set that life here would be much easier with Residency Visas.
We haven't looked back. Yes the process to get our visas was long but well worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts