Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
It's 3 pages long and the document only downloads.

The limit is $10,000 USD and your best chance at a decent but safe conversion to pesos would be at the airport.
The undeclared limit is $10k, if correctly declared no limit. It also includes financial instruments so how could you take your credit card in, most have greated than 10k limits.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hey appalahian

the conversion rate depends on the currency at the time of converting. It can change weekly or daily. I don't know if it is 50 pesos on the dollar now or not. right now it is 52.10 peso to the us dollar. Highest I have ever seen it was 57 pesos to the US Dollar. that was several years ago when I was there. Some exchanges charge more.

art

·
Super Moderator
4,492 Posts
The undeclared limit is $10k, if correctly declared no limit. It also includes financial instruments so how could you take your credit card in, most have greated than 10k limits.
Don't you have to pay a tax if over $10,000 USD?

And this rule has been around for decades, they should increase this amount.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The airlines gave us a form to fill out declaring anything we have with us including money before we landed. that form was given to the immigration officer at entry.

art

·
Registered
18 Posts
The $10,000 is leaving the US. If you see these guys they will be right there when you get on the plane simply asking how much cash you have on you, and you will know who they are. I have only seen them once.

I thought you could bring a cashiers check drawn on a us bank for more than 10,000$. Those guys above asked about cash. I said like 400 bucks or so and they waived me on through.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The $10,000 is leaving the US. If you see these guys they will be right there when you get on the plane simply asking how much cash you have on you, and you will know who they are. I have only seen them once.

I thought you could bring a cashiers check drawn on a us bank for more than 10,000$. Those guys above asked about cash. I said like 400 bucks or so and they waived me on through.
I thought the form you fill in before landing in the Philippines says cash or equivalent financial instruments which would include cashier cheques. If declared it should be no problem, you may be asked why you are carrying so much, just have a good explanation. Don't say drug mule.😯

·
Registered
811 Posts
If declared it should be no problem, you may be asked why you are carrying so much, just have a good explanation.
AND they demand explaining what you got them from even for small amounts a bit over 10 000 usd!
By that crap USA has forced foreign banks too to follow "to stop terrorists" , I had problem, it took months before I got approval to transfer some money from Sweden to Phils :mad: Have they stoped even a single terrorist by that crap making peoblem for common people...?
Perhaps it wouldnt have been apprioved if I wouldnt have happened to sold my house recently so I could show I got money by that recently. As if it would be odd to have saved some money before reaching retiirement age!!!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Not had any problems transferring large amounts, buy truck, building house. The only caveat being £10,000 limit per transaction. Just drag and drop HSBC UK to HSBC PH. Also free and instant.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Be honest and don't try to fool the immigration officers. They will get mad. List everything you have with you on the form. If there are any questions it will be handled in a good way if you are honest and have listed it.

art

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I only had one problem traveling to the Philippines. I have been there 9 times. I got search I believe in Los Angles once and missed my flight. I had to wait 6 hours for another flight. they went through my luggage and searched my laptop. They took my laptop somewhere and came back and gave it back to me. My clothes were laying all over the countertop. I was pissed and told them so. They never told me why they were searching my things. I wasn't the only one being searched. We had to go to a different line to be searched.

I said to one of the officers that I was going to miss my flight. He said, "You can get the next fight out."

art

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I only had one problem traveling to the Philippines. I have been there 9 times. I got search I believe in Los Angles once and missed my flight. I had to wait 6 hours for another flight. they went through my luggage and searched my laptop. They took my laptop somewhere and came back and gave it back to me. My clothes were laying all over the countertop. I was pissed and told them so. They never told me why they were searching my things. I wasn't the only one being searched. We had to go to a different line to be searched.

I said to one of the officers that I was going to miss my flight. He said, "You can get the next fight out."

art
I noticed that when we flew from Sacramento to Honolulu that our 8 year old son had a different code written in the corner of his boarding pass, I believe issued randomly. Everyone with this code was pulled aside when we landed and got a thorough search.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
hey Gary,

I do believe it was a random search. Like you said I might had a code on my ticket and didn't even know it. I was there about an hour. I next flight was leaving and I didn't make it in time.

art

·
Super Moderator
4,492 Posts
Has anyone ever been upgraded to 1st Class for free? That's happened to me about 4 times and I didn't ask for it either.

·
Registered
811 Posts
You can bring over 10,000 (usd) it just has to be declared, same as going into USA
Yes. But its ILLEGAL to get such amounts OUT of the Philippines (max 1000 usd if I remember correct) even if declaring - EXCEPT if the person can prove such have beem brought IN by him, so it can be useful to declare bringing into Phils even if not needed legaly if its possible wanting to ever bring it out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
21 - 40 of 46 Posts