Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario,

The employer will employ me under the Working Holiday Visa for 6 months while applying for the 457 Visa. However, I dont plan to work for a long period in Oz and would like to travel around within a year.

The problem is,
I read from the immigration website that when I cease employment, I have to leave Oz within 28 days. But with the Working Holiday Visa I will have some more time to stay in Oz.

So here the question is,

When the 457 Visa is granted, is that mean my Working Holiday Visa is no longer valid?

I dont know if my situation or problem make any sense to you guys but I appreciate if anyone could help me on this? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Yes, you can't have 2 visas running concurrently.

Have you actually applied for the 457 yet? Because if you don't want to work that much and travel, the 457 will put a stop to that! And yes, if you leave your job under the 457 you either have to find another one pronto or leave the country.

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
you can continue with WHV for a year, once you are nearing the exipry, look for a sponsor and apply for 457, this would be my suggestion

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Dolly! Thanks for your prompt reply!

Since the employer asked a few times if I'm willing to change the Working Holiday Visa to 457. I dont want to accept the offer when they have confirmed with me a few times on the visa thing but in the end quit before they apply the 457. That's why I want to make sure if I could keep the WHV and 457 at the same time.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
As you can't run both at the same time, what are you going to do?

Dolly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The offer is yet confirmed, I gotta consider and think of every pros & cons before they actually offer the job. *headache* Apart from the visa issue, I still have to check the market rate and be prepared to negotiate. I have no clue on the tax and super thing at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts